• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Test fan

U19 Vice-Captain
hmm, they might be, just, but some Indian posters in CC can sit down and settle down until India beat the boss fight McCullum/KW NZ away from Dravid ordered Mumbai decks before even thinking of graduating to Smith's SA. Endgame Australia?WI is a long way away.
First win a test series india as india already won multiple test series in NZ .Oh wait when was NZ won a test in india ? Maybe you don't even born lol .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Do you honestly think the India side which toured and lost in England in 18/19 is better than the 2021 touring side?
Don't forget that the 2018 England side was a lot better than the 2021 England side (even with Root's purple patch).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd consider that completely different teams which did that (which if anything is even more remarkable)
True, but unless I'm mistaken 9 players: Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, McGrath and Gillespie were all involved in both.

Flem274*

123/5
First win a test series india as india already won multiple test series in NZ .Oh wait when was NZ won a test in india ? Maybe you don't even born lol .
you've won a solitary test here in my lifetime. here is the fearsome side you beat.

might go to bay oval on tuesday and pose with the test mace.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think there are 7-8 different teams that could lay claim for the 3rd best team ever. But its pretty obvious whoever is third is like 2-3 laps behind Aus/WI, not breathing down their necks just because theyre technically one spot behind.
I would say the 1948 Australians are definitely breathing down Taylor/Waugh/Ponting Australia and the great WI side. Might have even been better.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
towelling australia =/= you are best in the world.

calling them the best in the world is fair. by a margin? nah, they're exceptionally beatable.
They may be exceptionally beatable but they are considerably less so than the other sides.

since the start of Jan 2015, India have lost just three test series.
Nz in contrast have lost six I believe ( 2 away to India, 2 to Australia, 2 to Sa ).
Not to mention Nz could also not beat Sri Lanka in 2019.

Flem274*

123/5
england 1950s were pretty overpowered. good shout at 3rd. so too were the aussie invincibles, or anything with bradman tbh.

no doubt kohli's team would crush them though!!!!!!

sunilz

International Regular
you've won a solitary test here in my lifetime. here is the fearsome side you beat.

might go to bay oval on tuesday and pose with the test mace.
Go . We will pose with 2 ODI WC, 2 Champions trophy , 1 WT20 , 5 U19 WC and 5 ICC Test championship mace .

Flem274*

123/5
Go . We will pose with 2 ODI WC, 2 Champions trophy , 1 WT20 , 5 U19 WC and 5 ICC Test championship mace .
do you still actually have those trophies though?

sorry guys australia are still the best team in the world because they beat south africa in 2004 or something to retain the #1 ranking for the umpteenth year in a row. we can all go home now that's settled. cheers sunilz.

TheJediBrah

england 1950s were pretty overpowered. good shout at 3rd. so too were the aussie invincibles, or anything with bradman tbh.

no doubt kohli's team would crush them though!!!!!!
1948 Aussies would be my bet for 3rd best side ever. Any side with Bradman is a bit of a cheat though

Daemon

I think Kohli’s India has had the best results of the three sides mentioned.

They are very beatable though. We haven’t even won the England series and this current series in SA. We could well lose this one and draw the former, the side just isn’t invincible.

On paper you do instinctively feel Kallis and co were a better side even if they didn’t have the results to show for it.

sunilz

International Regular
Rate Indian sides by how they perform in SENA.
Rate Australian/ English sides also by how they perform in SENA. ?

Flem274*

123/5
Top 5 test teams

Australia 90s/2000s
West Indies 80s-95
Australia postwar 40s
South Africa 1970 (and beyond but banned)
England 1950s
this looks pretty sensible. would put smith's SA around 6th I think.

there are also a lot of teams who might have been 2 or 3 in their eras behind some of these teams, but were still impressive. im thinking 80s pakistan for example would be a serious challenge for the english 2011 #1 side, or the Dhoni/Kohli and KW sides despite them being #1 for a period.

Status
Not open for further replies.