• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Series ever ....

Deja moo

International Captain
What in your opinion , has been the best cricket series ever ?

Mine , in tests-

Hard to go past the India-Australia 2001 series.

And in ODIs-

India-Pakistan 2004.
India-West Indies 2002 ( no target was safe enough :boxed: )

And also my best WC was the 92 one.( Don't know about previous ones....did'nt watch them )

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not surprised you said that series...I suppose you haven't seen anything pre-1990?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I haven't seen much cricket pre-90s, so I would agree that the best Series I have seen is India vs Australia in '01.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
For any Indian including me, best series would be Ind vs Aus 2001 for obvious reasons. But not sure the Aussies enjoyed that.

Best ODI series: well there hv been good matches and bad ones in same series, cant say India dominated any single series. Considering that I favour the ones they won against difficult opponents.

Hence:

Hero Cup 91/92 - What got me interested in cricket... (beating Saf in Semis and WI in final)
Bangladesh Independence Cup in 98, final against Pak was awesome, plus Sachin was in great form.
Sharjah 98 (Ind, Aus, NZ) again the last 2 matches.
ICC Champions Trophy 2001, damn the rain :-{
and ofcourse the recent Ind-Pak Series

~Michael~

Cricket Spectator
Mine would be

In tests:
Australia VS Srilanka 2004 (recently concluded series , aus won 3-0 :) )
Aus VS South Africa (which yr can't remember but inwhich aus won the one in which gilly scored the fastest double hundred 204*)

In ODI'S:
VB Series 2002/2003 (aus-sri-eng)
Tvs Series 2003 (aus-ind-nz)
(in india)
WC 2003,1999

masterblaster

International Captain
Australia v Sri Lanka 2004 was so dull and non-competitive. I can't possibly think anybody would rate that as the best series ever.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I doubt that the 2000-01 Ind/Aus will have too much competition as the best three Test series of all time.

For a longer series, the choice would be between England/Australia 1902, Australia/West Indies 1960/1 and England/Australia 1981.

chicane

State Captain
My favourites -
Tests -

1- Australia in India 2001
2- Pakistan in India, 1998
3- India in Australia, 2003

ODIs -

1- India vs Pakistan 2004
2- World Cup 1996
3- World Cup 1999

Sudeep

International Captain
(criteria: All series after 1990)

Tests:

Australia in India (2001/02)

ODIs:

World Cup (1999)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tapioca said:
For a longer series, the choice would be between England/Australia 1902, Australia/West Indies 1960/1 and England/Australia 1981.
You saw the 1902 series? Wow...
:blink:

Revelation

U19 Debutant
1999 Series. Australia vs West Indies in the West Indies.

1st Test, Trinidad-WI 51 all out and Australia win massively. 0-1

2nd Test, Jamaica-WI bt Aus by 10 wickets after a brilliant Lara 213 and Perry's demolition of the Aussies 2nd Innings. 1-1

3rd Test, Barbados (and perhaps the greatest Test of all)- Waugh scores 199. Australia piles up 490 1st Innings runs. WI reply with 329 on a Campbell century. Walsh 5/39 wrecks Aussies 2nd Innings. They fall for 146. WI set 308 to win. Falters to 105-5 and 248-8. Lara shepherds Ambrose and Walsh through the last 60 runs with McGrath and Gillespie breathing steam. Lara's 153* seals the win by 1 wkt. 153* voted 2nd best innings of all time and both captains agree that it's the best Test that each has played in. 2-1.

4th Test, Antigua-Aussies seek to aviod series defeat. Aus 303 in 1st Innings sees WI reply with 222. Lara scores 100 off 82 balls. Langer's 127 propels Australia to 306 in the second innings. Aussies blast WI out for 211 for a share of the series and retention of the Frank Worrel Trophy. 2-2.