• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst Chris Cairns moments

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
no i dont, but had he bowled even a bunch of deliveries above 90mph i would have noticed it at some point during the summer in 99.
Why, really, does he need to bowl a bunch?
If he's capable of bowling even the odd ball above 90, it's perfectly possible that he broke Parore's jaw with one in the nets.
err its a known fact that the bones of a kid are much weaker than the bones of an adult. and as such you being hit by a ball when you were 10 years old hardly makes a difference to that of a fully grown adult
Really?
My bones have broken with equal ease all my life. I've heard no evidence suggesting bones get aught other than weaker (from about the age of 6 or 7 or so) with age.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Why, really, does he need to bowl a bunch?
If he's capable of bowling even the odd ball above 90, it's perfectly possible that he broke Parore's jaw with one in the nets..
if he bowled 1-3 balls in his entire lifetime over 90mph i can hardly see how it is relevant. i have never seen him bowl a single ball over 90 mph while watching, and i question whether you have done so?

Richard said:
Really?
My bones have broken with equal ease all my life. I've heard no evidence suggesting bones get aught other than weaker (from about the age of 6 or 7 or so) with age.
without getting into a medical argument its a well known fact that bones develop over childhood and adolescence and get stronger with calcium intake.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
if he bowled 1-3 balls in his entire lifetime over 90mph i can hardly see how it is relevant. i have never seen him bowl a single ball over 90 mph while watching, and i question whether you have done so?
I remember seeing this incident on the highlights package we got (when he bowled his 90 mph ball), because they were talking about his variations in speed (ie. he was bowling pretty quickly, but still throwing in those Chris Read destroying slower balls) and how well he was bowling.

I have forgotten what we were arguing about 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
I haven't, I said so, didn't I?
I do seem to remember seeing speedster figures in Wisden 1999 (when it was still an extremely novel thing) which quoted him as reaching 92mph in that series. I would check, except it's buried underneath about 30 other Wisdens.
without getting into a medical argument its a well known fact that bones develop over childhood and adolescence and get stronger with calcium intake.
Yes, I know, but like I say - I don't know how much stronger a 18-year-old's nosebone would be than a 10-year-old's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sirjeremy11 said:
I remember seeing this incident on the highlights package we got (when he bowled his 90 mph ball), because they were talking about his variations in speed (ie. he was bowling pretty quickly, but still throwing in those Chris Read destroying slower balls) and how well he was bowling.

I have forgotten what we were arguing about 8-)
Whether it's likely that Cairns would've broken Parore's jaw by bowling a cricket-ball instead of using his fist.
That lead to discussion as to whether he had ever bowled 90mph.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Whether it's likely that Cairns would've broken Parore's jaw by bowling a cricket-ball instead of using his fist.
That lead to discussion as to whether he had ever bowled 90mph.
Oh right. Well, my answer for both is yes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha... you'll soon find-out what that entails. :)
(If you were to) go back through this forum to about February 2004, you'll find rather a lot of threads involved rather a lot of post-ralleys between myself and his good self... :)
Basically, once something starts, it usually takes a while to finish.
I don't mind this. Many do.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Although I see what you're up against, Richard, when someone provides hard data of Cairns bowling at least 90kmh, yet he somehow decides that's not good enough - because it doesn't fit in with his opinion.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Although I see what you're up against, Richard, when someone provides hard data of Cairns bowling at least 90kmh, yet he somehow decides that's not good enough - because it doesn't fit in with his opinion.
This confuses me too! It's sort of like someone saying a McDonalds cheeseburger is not on the $2 menu, then they get shown the menu, and it is on the $2 menu.

Then they say, "Well, that doesn't really count to me"
8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed...
tooextracool said:
chris cairns has certainly never managed to bowl at over 90mph.
I quite agree that the odd 90mph delivery doesn't say much about a bowler's ability, but the fact is tec said he'd never managed to bowl one.
And we weren't really discussing Cairns' cricketing ability - we were discussing whether or not he'd have been able to break Parore's jaw in net-practice.