• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Wicketkeepers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have noticed this lately, that Wicketkeepers who can bat are never like real defensive, just aggressive and big hitters. I'm not sure what's the go with with that, has anyone else got any clue?? Because all the Wicketkkepers i know personally aren't really agreesive, and open the batting.

Is it, like some kind of trend??
It undoubtedly is a trend, but like good tennis players being American, there's no real explanation for it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Test SR above 50 = aggressive batsman.

Simple as.

IMO.
Disagree, but I suppose it is hard to find a stat to back up what an "aggressive" batsman is. Your opinion though, I'm not going to tell you it's wrong or anything.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well unless a wicketkeeper is good enough to bat high in the order, hes normaly going to be coming in to bat in a situation in which quick runs would benefit the side.

I think of it this way, a lot of keepers don't really have the class to stay at the crease for long periods of time, so to make up for it they score quicker.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the player focus's on batting rather than wicket keeping all the time it is likely that their wicket keeping skills will decrease and vice versa IMO. I think Gilchrist is one of those victims and of course Sangakkara was replaced with Jayawardena for a bit to let him focus on batting.
1. Gilchrist has gotten better with the gloves over time, from what I've seen.
2. Jayawardene is not that great a wicketkeeper.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ramdin on the other hand is quite defensive and is probably the most defensive keeper/batsmen in the game ATM. But his not really a stone waller.
Ramdin has a better ODI SR than Sangakkara...

Ramdin is not a defensive batsman. He's quite positive, but doesn't score quickly by merit of boundaries and sixes. Rather, he's a busy batsman who hits the odd boundary. The times that he has been a defensive option of late are rather down to his lack of confidence than his natural ability or disposition.

On Test debut he scored 56 from 73 balls with 9 fours in his first innings. He's not a defensive batsman.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I find it hard to beleive that both are "aggressive" batsman at international level considering they have both been poor for their respective nations. I've seen both of them bat and they look pretty limited, and because of that they don't come across as aggressive.
It's pretty blatantly obvious that Read is an aggressive batsman. Regardless of his success, the way in which he bats is with aggression. Surely you saw none of the series against Pakistan if you think otherwise. And range of strokeplay has no bearing on how aggressive a batsman is.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
To be called an agressive batsmen you don't just have to be agressive, you have to be a batsmen. Like top 7 at least.

EDIT: I really do not know what I am talking about do I

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
To be called an agressive batsmen you don't just have to be agressive, you have to be a batsmen. Like top 7 at least.

EDIT: I really do not know what I am talking about do I
ummm we can tell you dont m\need to bat in the top 7 to be an aggressive batsmen take me for example i am one of the most aggressive batsmen you'll find but i only bat 8 - 11 i rest my case

Mr Mxyzptlk

thats a bit harsh isnt it? He is just going through a lean patch at the moment....give the poor guy a brk! 8-)
Worth noting that he's noting making reference to Mahela here. Rather, it's Prasanna Jayawardene, who averages less than 25 in FC cricket.