• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bang- OZ series likely to be scrapped

brockley

International Captain
According to fox sports.
Reasons given the olympics clash with the series,channel 9 won't cover the games (no coverage yet),financial losses in the past playing bangladesh.
The 3 one dayers however may go ahead.
The 2 tests tho are likely to be scratched.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Money talks, Bangladesh cricket doesn't. Another sign that CA only care about money and couldn't give a stuff about the development of cricket internationally.

Craig

World Traveller
Well the season is about as packed as, pretty much after the tour of the West Indies, they come back and have to play Bangladesh and soon after go to India for the Tests and then the ICC Champions Trophy. Why couldn't they have done this last year instead? It is pretty easy for me to find out what is planned for 2008 so I'm sure they have the required IQ to find out this information themselves. Pretty poor form IMO.

Anyway I thought Channel 7 had Olympic coverage?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well the season is about as packed as, pretty much after the tour of the West Indies, they come back and have to play Bangladesh and soon after go to India for the Tests and then the ICC Champions Trophy. Why couldn't they have done this last year instead? It is pretty easy for me to find out what is planned for 2008 so I'm sure they have the required IQ to find out this information themselves. Pretty poor form IMO.

Anyway I thought Channel 7 had Olympic coverage?
Fox has the Olympics too. Channel 9 didn't want to run the coverage of the matches as it was Bangladesh and during the Olympics so they would have no viewers. Fox weren't going to shaft the Olympics for this series. The main thing they could have fitted it in if they played it during the Australia home summer. The problem came when they tried to schedule it in the off season.

Craig

World Traveller
Fox has the Olympics too. Channel 9 didn't want to run the coverage of the matches as it was Bangladesh and during the Olympics so they would have no viewers. Fox weren't going to shaft the Olympics for this series. The main thing they could have fitted it in if they played it during the Australia home summer. The problem came when they tried to schedule it in the off season.
So what was wrong about playing last year instead? I mean I can find who is playing who in 2011, so it wouldn't of been that hard.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So what was wrong about playing last year instead? I mean I can find who is playing who in 2011, so it wouldn't of been that hard.
Bangladesh played Sri Lanka at the same time last year. The first half of their season was packed with ODIs. They couldn't play them last season. You can't expect Bangladesh to change their whole schedule to suit Australia.

brockley

International Captain
Basketball Cricket Football A-League English Premier League Socceroos Golf League Motor Sports Rugby Super 14 Tennis Other Sports Beijing Olympics Boxing Horse Racing FOX SPORTS TV Get FOX SPORTS Fox Sports News Sports Active Inside Cricket Inside Rugby Total Football On The Couch NRL on FOX PGA Golf Show NBL Wrap The Back Page View TV Guide Special Events EPL LIVE on your PC Fantasy Super 14 Footy Poll - Vote now! Cricket Home
Fixtures & Results
Video
Domestic
Stick Cricket
Gallery
Inside Cricket
Blogs
Cricket
Banglas series looking shaky
By Ben Dorries
February 02, 2008 AUSTRALIA'S top cricketers may get an unexpected winter break, with the home Test series against Bangladesh poised to go on the chopping block.

The two-Test series scheduled to be played in Cairns and Darwin in August is set to be scrapped, with three-one dayers instead to be staged in Darwin.

The Top End series, which Australia has previously contested against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, has run at an enormous loss and left a black hole in Cricket Australia coffers.

This year's proposed Test series would have clashed with the Olympic Games in Beijing and it is understood there would have been no television coverage, with Channel 9 refusing to show the series.

Cricket Australia has been locked in talks with its Bangladesh counterpart, but doubts remain about how the Test series can be postponed.

Home boards have obligations under the International Cricket Council's future tours program, and Australia's schedule is so jam-packed during the next two years that the series would be almost impossible to re-schedule.

Cricket officials have indicated the Test series will almost certainly be canned, with the Northern Territory Government set to make an announcement as early as next week.

The postponement of the Tests would give Australia's cricketers some breathing space between returning from their tour of the Caribbean in June and departing for the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September.

Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young said that he expected an announcement soon.

"There are no decisions yet. It's a work in progress, which is going very well," Young said.

"If it can be completed to the satisfaction of everybody involved, the expectation is there will be a formal announcement in Darwin with the Northern Territory Government and ourselves."

howardj

International Coach
Well the season is about as packed as, pretty much after the tour of the West Indies, they come back and have to play Bangladesh and soon after go to India for the Tests and then the ICC Champions Trophy.
When you get paid huge amounts of money, you have to expect to work for it and be exhausted from time to time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Disappointing that the people up at the top end will have to watch the Olympics rather then talented performers such as Syed Rasel.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On a serious note I don't you will be able to get coverage on the radio, as ABC radio (Grandstand) has coverage of the Olympics.

pasag

RTDAS
Another sign that CA only care about money....
Yeah money is the thing that has always been primarily on their collective minds, but depends on who you ask as to whether or not that is a good thing. The board has always been like this throughout history and it's tightness especially in the years preceding WSC is well documented (putting up players in squalor during tours of India to save money etc). I suppose from another perspective is a need for the financial stability of the game in the country and ensuring its long term success.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Its clear its not to do with australias' packed schedule that reason is not given.
The icc 10 year plan would have slotted the test series for august.
Maybe they will play bangladesh at the start of a season in tests,like they did with srilanka earlier this year.
Whenever they play them it will be a financial loss,its the same weight every country has.
Also they are always going to struggle to get some one to cover it.
Fox does have a few channels so they could cover it.
Last time channel 9 and the abc covered it.
I think when it comes down to it its all about timing and the timing isn't right.:wacko:

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You can't expect Bangladesh to change their whole schedule to suit Australia.
Yes you can. Australia is a traditional and powerful cricket nation and Bangladesh is a nothing cricket nation. Bangladesh should consider themselves lucky they are even playing test cricket. They certainly don't deserve to be. Therefore they should pay the price and have to change.
But this probably won't happen because India and Pakistan will go into bat for them.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you can. Australia is a traditional and powerful cricket nation and Bangladesh is a nothing cricket nation. Bangladesh should consider themselves lucky they are even playing test cricket. They certainly don't deserve to be. Therefore they should pay the price and have to change.
But this probably won't happen because India and Pakistan will go into bat for them.
I like to point out that they also played Test series against India last season. Tests against India are going to raise more money then matches against Australia. There no way they are going to move a Test series against India to play Australia. It would be financial just stupid for them. You can't just say it ok for Australia to pick and choice who and when they play their matches depending on how much money they might. Then not expect Bangladesh to do the same thing.

But in reality they were never asked to change their schedule, as the guys at CA didn't think that forward in planning. Australia have reached this problem due to playing a 7 match ODIs series against India and that 3 match ODI series against NZ, as well as their extented version of their tri series. If it wasn't for these three series they could quite easier worked around the Olympics and Champions Throphy, as well as their other series. They ****ed up no else.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: