• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Azhar Mahmood? How good could he have been?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I was younger this guy to me was just a total scrub. I knew him as clearly the biggest failure of the 3 modern Pakistani all-rounders - him, Afridi and Razzaq. All 3 all-rounders were a pretty critical component of the Pakistan team in 1999/2000 (when I watched a lot of Pakistan cricket due to the WC and the subsequent Australian tour) but a decade later Afridi and Razzaq had forged very memorable careers(at least in ODIs) while Mahmood had been left behind. I started watching cricket in the summer of '98/99 btw.

Anyway when I got older I was pretty surprised to find that the start of Mahmood's test career was a higher peak than Razzaq and Afridi reached, comfortably in fact.

128* and 50* in his test debut against SA at home in late '97, then of course 4 months later on his first test tour, to SA, in early '98 he racked up two more tons in the first two tests of that series(136 and 132). He never passed 50 again or outside these 3 matches/4 innings at test level but the details of these 4 innings is pretty crazy.

Allan Donald and Shaun Pollock featured in all 3 of these matches. The other bowlers were a variety of other guys, including Kallis, Klusener, De Villiers, McMillan, Symcox, Cronje and Schultz. For those in the know, there's only really 1-2 weak points in this list of names. It's a who-who of the amazing bowlers SA had to offer in the '90s. One attack of Donald/Pollock/De Villiers/Klusener looks especially vicious.

And then we look at the circumstances of these knocks. Coming it at 6/206 to get his side to 456(and achieve a MOM award in a victory), coming in at 5/112 to get his side to 329(and again achieve a MOM award, this time joint with Symcox in a draw) and then finally, the most ridiculous of all, coming in at 5/89 and getting his side to 259... a little less this time, but he scored 132 of the 170 runs that were scored while he was at the crease. Pakistan won by 29 runs here but it was Mustaq Ahmed who got the MOM award this time for his 9 wickets and 22 useful runs. Fair enough - Azhar still could still pat himself on the back though for his effort.

Something happening once or twice could be called a fluke, but this happened 3 times. And then he never again came close to this level of success with the bat. He had a few bright spots with the ball at international level, including 3 fivefers and a best of 6/18 in ODIs, but still averaging 39 as a bowler in that format is not very memorable.

His overall FC returns of 31 averaging bat and 25 averaging bowler make me feel he was deep down more of a bowling all-rounder, but those 3 innings really pose some questions about how good this guy could have been.

So cricket fans old enough to remember this era, what was the buzz like surrounding him in the late '90s? Did people think he was gonna the savior of Pakistan cricket? Funny to think about now

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he was afflicted with the curse of being an all-rounder who first tasted international success with their secondary discipline, which just ****s up your chance of being used in a consistent role forever.

I think one of those 130s was considered one of the greatest innings of all time (if not the greatest innings of all time) in some rankings somewhere.

mr_mister

Going by one of DOG top 100 innings of all time lists, only the 132 cracks it so I assume that's the knock you're talking about. It made the top 10 of one version of that list he posted in 2011, pre Kusal Perara and some others. I can't find the most recent edition of that list floating around here right now.

Funnily enough its the only 1 of these 3 tons that didn't net him a MOM award. But yeah scoring 132/170 runs while you're at the crease(and 132/259 of the team total) plus it coming against Donald/Pollock/De Villiers/Klusener has to do a lot for any batsman on a statistical breakdown.

It's so crazy he debuted and smacked 3 tons in his first handful of tests, all at 7-8. All rescue jobs too. He barely even got a promotion in the order from that, while Razzaq and Afridi had decent stints batting 3 and opening, respectively.

But yeah I'm assuming he was least considered to be the best of the 3 at bowling due(as SCC1 pointed out) by the selectors and maybe that's why he never got a chance to play as a bat

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Geoff Boycott felt he had the talent to be another Botham having been the commentator for those two series against SA both home and away. Definite case of unfulfilled potential IMO.

mr_mister

Yeah I imagine if you actually watched all 3 innings live by the 3rd one you'd assume he was well on the path to being something special. I assume Allan Donald probably thought he was going to be huge by the end of the third knock

Basically 3 Stokes/Botham style innings in 4 months

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan missed the trick by not playing Razzaq and Mahmood together and five bowlers in total. Instead, every time there was an imposter in top 7 getting out cheap in each and every tour.

mr_mister

I'm sure several combinations of 2 out of Afridi, Razzaq and Mahmood played many tests together. I would say they probably played 5 bowlers a lot

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pak had 3 potentially solid all-rounders active at the same time but didn't extract much out of them

Abdul Razzaq

Azhar Mahmood

Yasir Arafat

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan never allowed Razzaq's batting or Mahmood's bowling in tests to develop. Wasim / Shoaib and two of these guys plus two spinners at home and Wasim / Shoaib plus one mpre pacer plus one spinner overseas would have been the formula.

Mahmood never was an out and out strike bowler, rather a solid support bowler. Razzaq was little more attacking and these two should have been used to control and fill up overs, bowling line and length. Instead Pakistan wanted strike bowlers out of them.