• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Actually reckon that now Renshaw and Handscomb are sorted in the top six, and Smith is the best in the world, we should look to selecting a keeper who is under 25 and a gun keeper and a capable bat, and stick with him.

Although I don't take lightly what "leadership" Wade might be bringing to the team. Group dynamics are important.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually reckon that now Renshaw and Handscomb are sorted in the top six, and Smith is the best in the world, we should look to selecting a keeper who is under 25 and a gun keeper and a capable bat, and stick with him.

Although I don't take lightly what "leadership" Wade might be bringing to the team. Group dynamics are important.
Pierson?

Gnske

There's a man who is a cut for the job.

Imo lets just keep Wade, with the Marsh brothers also likely cut for the Ashes we need someone who fits the bill as a meme-tier player that we can focus all our hate on in the team now more than ever.

And his banter is just so witty and insightful, so he's definitely an asset.

stephen

If Hartley, Seccombe or Healy are going to stick around and help him, he'll be good to go in a year or so. He's clearly in the selectors thoughts with the A team selection
Queensland have been blessed with some seriously great keepers in recent years (and I'm not just referring to the Mrs).

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
There's been a few from up here. I'm looking forward to watching how Peirson goes at the end of a hot day or more in the field keeping. Anyway for right now, we don't have anything other than ODI's in NZ coming

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
FWIW here's a XII of the best performed Sheffield Shield players of the season just gone:

1. Ed Cowan
2. Marcus Harris
3. Hilton Cartright
4. George Bailey
5. Ashton Turner
6. Moises Henrqiues
7. Peter Nevill/Chris Hartley +
8. Jason Behrendorff
9. Chris Tremain
10. Chadd Sayers
11. Jon Holland

12. James Pattinson

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I agree that Nevill isn't an aggressive batsman, and he's not suited to batting with the tail. So why not move him up to 5 or 6? Goodness knows we could have used some solidarity further up the order in the recent past.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree that Nevill isn't an aggressive batsman, and he's not suited to batting with the tail. So why not move him up to 5 or 6? Goodness knows we could have used some solidarity further up the order in the recent past.
Yeah Marsh batting above him was always something that ground my gears.

Starfighter

Thank **** that they've finally gotten rid of Shaun Marsh.

Starc is never going to stop having foot problems until he learns to land with his foot flatter rather than digging his heel in. Looks like Patto might get a go then. Agar's presence indicates either going with 1 2/3 spinners and being a little light on the bowling and heavy on the batting, or dropping Maxwell. Not sure I'd be picking Cartwright in these conditions, but whatever.

No O'Keefe is disappointing but not surprising considering his last 'incident'.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Starfighter - there is a chance we play:

1 Renshaw 2 Warner 3 Smith 4 Handscomb 5 Maxwell 6 Wade 7 Agar 8 Cummins 9 Pattinson 10 Lyon 11 Hazlewood.

I would rather Khawaja at 3 or 4 and have Cartwright, Maxwell and Agar fighting for what would be the final spot, but we will see.

Starfighter

Forgot about the Khawaja thing. Actually, forgot about Khawaja in general. Agree as to preferred team makeup.