• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Lazy, apathetic body language. Isn't going to inspire effort at the end of a long day in the field. Just coasts along on his natural ability. Appears to not value his wicket as much as he should. Lazy and poor fielder. All attributes I don't like in a captain.

Would much prefer Cummins if the only two choices were him and Khawaja. Would definitely prefer Head, Lyon, Haze, or even Wade, if it boiled down.
You can also add "a lack of match awareness" to the list.

I can't remember the last time Tontine played a gritty innings in difficult conditions when his team really needed him the most in a Test

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can also add "a lack of match awareness" to the list.

I can't remember the last time Tontine played a gritty innings in difficult conditions when his team really needed him the most in a Test
More recently than about half the team ITBT.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, he clearly should have got the gig during the actual test match when it happened but it's too late now

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
More recently than about half the team ITBT.
It's hard to criticise players who are Shield bullies, but out-of-their depth at Test level for a lack of trying.* Nobody disputes Tontine's natural ability. It's his lack of application that is frustrating. That puts him in the same classification as Carl Hooper.

*To put a finer point on it, Australia's batting line-up in the Third Test was worse than the 1985 Ashes series, which consisted of

Wood
Hilditch
Wessels
TOTAB
Boon
Ritchie
Phillips

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
I would really dislike seeing Khawaja captain. Lazy apathetic body language does not suit a captain.
It also surely means he's safe for the fourth test which irritates me. At least put a bit of pressure on him. He's so frustrating. Living proof why sport is 90 per cent mental, 10 per cent talent.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
It also surely means he's safe for the fourth test which irritates me. At least put a bit of pressure on him. He's so frustrating. Living proof why sport is 90 per cent mental, 10 per cent talent.
Nah, you need talent. Otherwise any 5th Grade Premier cricket jabroni could play at Test level.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Is there any use in picking Pattinson if we are not going to bowl him to breaking point? (excuse me for speaking of him as a commodity) I think he should open the bowling and be used for menace until we break him or realise his surgery has worked?. How long do we nurse him?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is not what i think should happen but I can see:

Out: Harris Wade Pattinson
In: Smith Marsh Starc

Theyll want an extra bowling option and will say Patto is rested although it will be due to his inability to demolish the tail.
This is gaining momentum IMO.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Khawaja finally being dropped after his last 10 Tests produced only 435 runs @ 27.18, and that was with a 101* vs Sri Lanka on a road.

Sad end to his career as Pucovski and Patterson are now ahead of him on the home summer reserve list.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not unhappy to see Khawaja out. It was time.

As AT said, hopefully we can be rid of some dead wood and bring in some quality young bats in Pukovski and Patterson for the home summer.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Khawaja will be back IMO. The wheel is eternal.

Warner is going to start to decline soon, if he isn't already. His style is very eye dependent and it's not like there are a huge number of top order players bashing down the door. Harris and Bancroft have obvious technical deficiencies. Renshaw can't buy a run, Burns is disliked by the hierarchy and there's no other top order bats who have been any good.

So in the next coupe of years we'll likely churn back and forth between half a dozen top order batsmen (Labaschagne is going to revert to mean soon enough and he'll be a part of the churn as well). Khawaja is proven at test level and despite being out of form for the last year is still better than nearly all the other options out there.

Patterson should get another run, Pucovski will at some point too, but both are better suited for #5/6 at the moment. We can't elevate Head due to his obvious technical weaknesses either.

So while not as dire as England's top order, I can easily foresee Khawaja getting another run there.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Patterson should get another run, Pucovski will at some point too, but both are better suited for #5/6 at the moment.
Pucovski bats 3 for Vics and opened during the Aussie A tour so I wouldn't be surprised to see him open for Vics this year. Patterson should bat 4, but seeing Smith is there 5 is probably right.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Harris and Dean are pretty settled
Huh? Dean made 364 runs @ 19.16 last season while Harris at the other end topped the shield table. Dean also barely averages 30 in FC so it's not as if he was just out of form.

Watch this space, Pucovski to open as that's where Australia need him most.