• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Katich in frame for WA return - The West Australian

Rivals set sights on Blues stars

NSW cannot afford to lose Katich, Hughes, Khawaja, Smith, Nevill or Maddinson as they are all class players! With Jacques retiring they need a batsman of Katich class and experience. If Haddin were to be dropped by Australia would NSW go with Nevill or Haddin? Nevill should be the number 1 keeper as he was their best batsman last season whereas Haddin in his two first class games got a pair and 17. Western Australia are looking for a keeper with Luke Ronchi have departed. This is why Nevill and Triffit have been mentioned. Triffit only played for Tasmania because of the prolonged absence of Tim Paine through injury. Only a year ago Maddinson was being talked about as an Australian test opener and Khawaja was the next big thing. Hughes although having obvious technical deificiencies hasn't become a bad player overnight. Smith is a much improved batsman and has time on his side to improve his spin bowling.

Bollinger, Hauritz, Hughes, Khawaja and Smith will lose their CA contracts but Warner and Starc will be centrally contracted. Casson, Clark and Jacques have retired. Can savings not be made elsewhere e.g. by releasing the weaker squad members first i.e. five players on rookie contracts and Burt ****ley. Would Bollinger and Hauritz get in their first choice eleven? No as Starc and O'Keefe are better players.

Hopefully there is room in the budget to promote Kurtis Patterson and Josh Lalor who have both excelled this season. Even with these two the squad would be just 22 compared to 29 this season if the afforementioned six players were released alongside the three retirements.

My NSW squad for 2012/13: Bollinger, Clarke, Copeland, Cummins, Haddin, Hauritz, Hazlewood, Henriques, Hughes, Katich, Khawaja, Lalor, Lee, Maddinson, Nevill, O'Keefe, Patterson, Rohrer, Smith, Starc, Warner, Watson

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was worried the above might be a spam bot basing his posts on my own work, but I'd never say O'Keefe is a better player than Ritz

uvelocity

International Coach
horsham not in bondi on last google earth

lack of ponis and openers could be a david boon for nsw though

bondi beach

I was worried the above might be a spam bot basing his posts on my own work, but I'd never say O'Keefe is a better player than Ritz
Hauritz had figures of 3-295 which says it all really. O'Keefe will be number 1 spinner as he is captain. He didn't have a good 2011-12 but his first class average of 34 with the bat and 28 with the ball is not to be sniffed at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hauritz had figures of 3-295 which says it all really. O'Keefe will be number 1 spinner as he is captain. He didn't have a good 2011-12 but his first class average of 34 with the bat and 28 with the ball is not to be sniffed at.
:clapping:

O'Keefe also actually, you know, grew up and learned his cricket in New South Wales. Hauritz will barrack for Queensland again within five years of his retirement for sure IMO so he can piss off back there.

Spikey

nah i'm prepared to say he learnt his cricket in NSW..........

if you remove the statistical outlier of SOK's season - the innings where he actually took wickets - his strike rate for the season was something like 230. they've def started playing him a new way and he hasn't adapted, or even looked like adapting. he's becoming Ashley Giles!

In conclusion, neither should be captain. Appoint Nev.

bondi beach

As far as the spinner position is concerned SOK is number 1. Will Hauritz get in the Queensland team? They have leg spinner Cameron Boyce although he is young.

Wicketkeeper as captain? Not for me as a keeper can really combine keeping, bat and captaining and perform with all three disciplines at the same time. Although I rate Nevill very highly and think he should be number 1 even if Haddin is dropped by Australia.

I also think Mitchell Starc should be number 1 left arm seamer even if Bollinger loses his CA contract. I think Copeland, Hazlewood and Henriques should be the other seamers if Patrick Cummins misses long periods of the season because of international duty. They also have Josh Lalor a more than useful left arm seamer in reserve.

Katich is 36 and although won't be playing for more than 2/3 seasons I think his partnership with KP (not England one) showed the value of having an experienced, international class batsman in your side. I think KP, Maddinson, Hughes and Khawaja could all learn a lot from batting with him.

There are rumours of Katich, Nevill, Maddinson, Smith and Khawaja all leaving NSW but if anyone were to leave NSW I would rather it was Bollinger, Hauritz or Haddin than the previous five. Hopefully finances will be sufficient to mean that none of the key players will need to leave despite potentially five of the ten players on CA contract losing them.

Starting XI (assuming no Warner, Watson, Clarke or Cummins):

Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja, Katich, Smith, Henriques, Nevill (+), O'Keefe (c), Starc, Copeland, Hazlewood

bondi beach

Rohrer fails the Rohrer test?
It's either Rohrer or Maddinson for the final batting spot. If you go with Rohrer Khawaja will open, Smith would bat at 3 and Rohrer at 5. But how many games did Henriques play this year? If he isn't available Rohrer might bat at 6 as he did on occasions this season.

uvelocity

International Coach
what about the young fella that hit the earliest ton in county?

robson- get him in there. and pattinson. and some other young kid who throws thunderbolts. there must be some raw young buck who can come through next year. chuck him in.

Last edited:

Spikey

we tried our best.

just like the NSW batting line-up, it wasn't good enough

brockley

International Captain
Cummins 6 overs 2/24 in Aussie win.
With rookie contracts it will be hard to fill next season,Patterson and Abbott 1 each,lot of talented players round.