• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia ATG vs ROW XI - in Australia

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah. 77, 79 and 81 Pakistan won tests. They lost 2-0 in 5 tests in 84/85 but Imran was injured and couldnt bowl. In 90 they lost 1-0 but it was a tight contest. In 95 they lost 2-1 against Australia who were already the best team in the world.

99 onwards it has been a disaster, so around 24 years of sucking.

Even in that time they came close on a few occasions. Hobart 99 Gilly pulled off an impossible chase. Sydney 2009 was just, well. In 2016 they nearly pulled off a huge run chase in the first test and should have drawn the second test but crumbled in the last session. Each time, Pakistan buckled.
:yawn:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Why are we talking about Pakistan in a ROTW v AUS thread. Take it elsewhere, where it's relevant and tally up everyone's series stats to earn some deserved likes please.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
They won a test on 3 of Imran's tours to Australia. Since his retirement their record is 1 win , 0 draws, 16 losses. Historic levels of sucking.
And he was influential in all three wins:

- 76/77 took 12-for in his first really big Test bowling performance
- 78/79 wrecked Australia's top order in the first dig and useful runs in both innings
- 81/82 took five cheap wickets and made 70 not out

Victor Ian

International Coach
not the greatest bowling lineup for world xi
Who was better at the time? Harmison, Murali and Flintoff we're all killing it everywhere else. Not Hayden's fault they couldn't bring it to Australia. I think it sums up what I was saying about Hayden earlier, where he was a different beast in Australia, not because he is better, but because bowlers were worse in Australian conditions

subshakerz

International Coach
Who was better at the time? Harmison, Murali and Flintoff we're all killing it everywhere else. Not Hayden's fault they couldn't bring it to Australia. I think it sums up what I was saying about Hayden earlier, where he was a different beast in Australia, not because he is better, but because bowlers were worse in Australian conditions
Shoaib

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You are not correct regarding this. I can't believe no South African bowlers were included.

Check the ICC rankings for October 2005.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And only reason Vettori is playing is to include a New Zealander in the team.

Nobody in their right minds fields just 2 frontline fast bowlers in Australia .....+ Kallis + 2 spinners.

That's a big screw up.

Ideal bowling line is Flintoff, Pollock, Akhtar + Kallis + Murali

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to Haydos, if we're using ICC ratings as a metric in this argument then he's already in the clear given that his peak rating of 935 is the third highest of any opener (and in the top 15 of all batsmen) in Test history.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And only reason Vettori is playing is to include a New Zealander in the team.
Record vs Australia. Otherwise they would've picked McCullum (in original squad) ahead of Boucher.

Vettori had taken a 6-fer in the Perth test 2001 when NZ should've won. Also took 12 vs Aus at Eden Park in 2000. Both came before his major back problems which led to a remodelling of his action and loss of turn. The test was in Sydney so both teams played two spinners and MacGill must've been close to motm instead of Hayden.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Haydos, if we're using ICC ratings as a metric in this argument then he's already in the clear given that his peak rating of 935 is the third highest of any opener (and in the top 15 of all batsmen) in Test history.
One issue with ICC ratings is that runs or wickets scored/taken in a win are usually worth more than those in a loss or draw. If playing in a team with a very high win % like Waugh/Ponting's Australia players who succeed get huge rating increases.

Not diminishing Hayden at all who was an absolute gun and miles better than any current opener (although I'm hoping Conway reaches his level).