• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atapattu vs Atherton

Better Opening Batsman?

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
Attapattu was a very bad starter and a minnow basher who averaged 32 against top 8 teams. Attapattu perhaps had a greater hunger for runs and was more capable of really cashing in when conditions suited him, as his six Test double centuries show. Atherton was one of the worlds leading openers for considerable periods of time and but also had long periods of poor form. Attapattu was consistently inconsistent throughout his career.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that Atapattu averaged over 40 against only three teams (two of them being Zimbabwe/Bangladesh) is not a great sign. Looked great when on but went missing way too often.

Atherton wasn't perfect and did get exposed by certain bowlers too regularly but he is the better batsman.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Atherton. Was surprised he got 15 fifties against us. Thought he was famously hopeless in ashes matches

morgieb

Atherton. Was surprised he got 15 fifties against us. Thought he was famously hopeless in ashes matches
More hopeless against McGrath, realistically speaking. Most of his Ashes 50's came before McGrath broke through.

a massive zebra

International Captain
More hopeless against McGrath, realistically speaking. Most of his Ashes 50's came before McGrath broke through.
Atherton vs Australia with McGrath 17 Tests 677 runs @ 20.51 with 5 fifties
Atherton vs Australia without McGrath 16 Tests 1,223 runs @ 39.45 with 1 century and 10 fifties

mr_mister

True. He crammed a lot of ashes series into a test career that was pretty short in terms of years. 7 ducks against us is pretty telling ha

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Atapattu's stats paddlin (or is it padding, I'm going to keep all of this) against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe really is significant.

I voted for Atherton, but I guess Atapattu wins a few points for going big and his record in the Sub-Cont does seem better than Atherton's. The funny thing about Atapattu during his career is that I always seemed to think he was quite an adaptable player in all conditions and was able to handle the extra bounce or seam/swing around the world. I don't think his record really shows this though.

mr_mister

Also, Athertons record against Wasim/Waqar I think elevates him over Attapattu

And despite a meagre average the Ambrose/Walsh Windies, 4 tons is a decent return.

TheJediBrah

Really surprised to see how bad Atapattu's stats are, even including the minnow-bashing. For some reason I always remembered him as a 50+ averaging test batsman. Maybe because he made a lot of really big scores.

mr_mister

Oh, and Atherton handled SAs quality 90s pacers too. Really good batsman for a bloke who averaged 37. I'd honestly say one of the best ever who averaged under 40. Hear me out

The dude had to face sides with 2 ATG bowlers in like 60-70% of the tests he played. windies, pak, Australia and saffers made up a giant bulk of his opponents. 89 of his 115 tests. Tough bloody ask for an opening bat.

When he got a reprieve against the NZ and India attacks he averaged 68 and 57

Really could argue he'd more likely than not average nearly 50 if he debuted 10 years later

Last edited:

morgieb

Oh, and Atherton handled SAs quality 90s pacers too. Really good batsman for a bloke who averaged 37. I'd honestly say one of the best ever who averaged under 40. Hear me out

The dude had to face sides with 2 ATG bowlers in like 60-70% of the tests he played. windies, pak, Australia and saffers made up a giant bulk of his opponents. 89 of his 115 tests. Tough bloody ask for an opening bat.

When he got a reprieve against the NZ and India attacks he averaged 68 and 57

Really could argue he'd more likely than not average nearly 50 if he debuted 10 years later
Have we found Richard’s new account?

mr_mister

I know I sound a little crazy but the evidence showed when he faced easier attacks he was super successful. Like at least Lara and the Waughs didn't have to face their own bowling attacks. Atherton managing to avoid Defreitas and Cork isn't as advantageous

I know by my logic that makes Sachins record even more impressive, so be it