• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asian fast bowlers since Wasim Akram's retirement

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say Shami has already surpassed Asif and Shoaib.

Asif's 106@24.36 average is purely due to him playing only 4 out of his 23 matches at home (where he averaged 42.3). With a far more fair home/away split it would have been way higher.

Shoaib's minus Bangladesh (who he played in their 1st and 2nd years of test cricket) is 161@26.8 (o/w 178@25.7)

Shami is at 214@27.05 (has never played Zimbabwe/Afghanistan etc) (his last 179@24.94, last 110@24.39). Will prolly end at 300ish at 26.xx

Shami and Bumrah will prolly round up the Asian top 5 pacers along with Wasim, Waqar and Imran by the time their careers end. Shami at position 5. Bumrah anywhere from 1-4.
shoiab will always be better than shami unless shami ascends to true greatness.

shami is a very good bowler. shoiab was a force of nature. 4th best quick the subcontinent has ever produced, though bumrah may dislodge him.

Gob

International Coach

shami is a very good bowler. shoiab was a force of nature. 4th best quick the subcontinent has ever produced, though bumrah may dislodge him.
Haha yeah. Shami is pretty good but shoaib at his peak was something else

Kirkut

International Regular

I used to be a Shoaib Akhtar fan boy until not too long ago but now I find him overrated.

I'm sorry, if you cannot manage your own workload and keep getting injured all the time, you get what you deserve irrespective of how awesome your peak was. This is where I admire Anderson.

I'd like to wait till 50 tests but Bumrah is probably already better than Shoaib in tests.

Flem274*

123/5
I used to be a Shoaib Akhtar fan boy until not too long ago but now I find him overrated.

I'm sorry, if you cannot manage your own workload and keep getting injured all the time, you get what you deserve irrespective of how awesome your peak was. This is where I admire Anderson.

I'd like to wait till 50 tests but Bumrah is probably already better than Shoaib in tests.
Ok I'll pick peak shoiab and you can pick someone who played a lot like Anderson, or even Siddle and Martin. We'll see whose team wins.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
View attachment 31137
Nine Asian fast bowlers have taken at least 100 test wickets after Akram played his last international game on March 04, 2003. Ishant, Shami, Umesh, Bumrah makes it 4 out of 9 from India. Gul, Amir and Asif from Pakistan and then Malinga and Lakmal from Sri Lanka.

Is India finally catching up to Pakistan's fast bowling stocks? Can we surpass them eventually? Will the IPL and the monetary value that it places on fast bowlers turn us into a fast bowling factory like no one has seen before in another decade?

I don't care about any of the above questions so please feel free to tell me who your best pacer from the above list is and why is it Bumrah? ?

* The 3 bowlers with the red dots next to them in the picture above debuted before Wasim's retirement so aren't counted.
I don't think the number of wickets are as important as averages and even then, the context of actually seeing those bowlers play and the matches they helped win etc makes for a great bowler.

Of all those listed in the post Wasim era, only Asif is thought of as close to great, with Bumrah still young and building his career but potentially the next great. The others are merely good or just work horses like Sharma, who admittedly has had a late career surge but is certainly not a great.

With Bumrah, it is quite interesting that he has only played 5 tests at home, a mixture of both injuries and being kept away from the spinning track of India where his numbers would greatly inflate. I'd be curious to see how he develops as he plays more tests and more of them at home. He may end up as a great bowler but there is a long way to go.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Bumrah, it is quite interesting that he has only played 5 tests at home, a mixture of both injuries and being kept away from the spinning track of India where his numbers would greatly inflate.
I don't think this is true. India have produced pitches in recent years that have helped the seamers. And Shami/Siraj/Ishant/Umesh have all put up obscenely good numbers in home tests. Bumrah is better than all of them regardless of the pitch imo so no reason why he wouldn't have bullied some of these teams if he'd played

1647518977817.png

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
I don't think this is true. India have produced pitches in recent years that have helped the seamers. And Shami/Siraj/Ishant/Umesh have all put up obscenely good numbers in home tests. Bumrah is better than all of them regardless of the pitch imo so no reason why he wouldn't have bullied some of these teams if he'd played

View attachment 31166
Those are certainly good numbers but it also has to do with some abject batting teams touring in that period .The SA line up in particular was one of the worst ever, not to mention the england team that also toured in that period. Stats require A LOT of context.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those are certainly good numbers but it also has to do with some abject batting teams touring in that period .The SA line up in particular was one of the worst ever, not to mention the england team that also toured in that period. Stats require A LOT of context.
Well yeah but we werent arguing these were good batting lineups. Your argument was Bumrah's average would be inflated if he had played home tests. That very clearly isnt true. Since we agree they're abject lineups, he'd probably have taken his wickets at an average of 7.

Kirkut

International Regular
I don't think the number of wickets are as important as averages and even then, the context of actually seeing those bowlers play and the matches they helped win etc makes for a great bowler.

Of all those listed in the post Wasim era, only Asif is thought of as close to great, with Bumrah still young and building his career but potentially the next great. The others are merely good or just work horses like Sharma, who admittedly has had a late career surge but is certainly not a great.

With Bumrah, it is quite interesting that he has only played 5 tests at home, a mixture of both injuries and being kept away from the spinning track of India where his numbers would greatly inflate. I'd be curious to see how he develops as he plays more tests and more of them at home. He may end up as a great bowler but there is a long way to go.
Bumrah is 28 and Asif has only played 23 tests.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Bumrah is 28 and Asif has only played 23 tests.
Yes. My point was that Asif was thought of as CLOSE to great. His performances over a longer period of time would have helped solidify his legacy, but that never happened.

Bumrah is not quite in the same boat because most observers would agree he doens't have the skill and nuance that Asif has, but the numbers are excellent and if it stays that way...lets say over 50 more tests then he would definitely be a great bowler.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Bumrah is not quite in the same boat because most observers would agree he doens't have the skill and nuance that Asif has, but the numbers are excellent and if it stays that way...lets say over 50 more tests then he would definitely be a great bowler.
Do you even watch cricket? I mean you did just rate Ntini as the 19th best bowler in the world so I have to wonder.

Bumrah is one of the most skilled and talented bowlers in a while. He's ****ing magnificent.

Also make up your mind - should his bowling stats be adjusted upwards if he'd played more at home or not because he'd be bowling against trash batting line ups?