• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin vs Warne

Who is the better Test cricketer as of now?

• Ashwin

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Warne

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
I have no doubt that Ashwin will go down as an ATG in the eyes of the cricket watching public. 100%.

All the minutiae us cricket nerds on CW ding him for, will hardly be considered as a footnote in comparison to what he's accomplished and his conventional aggregate stats and averages.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Has Ashwin surpassed Warne as the greatest conventional spin bowler of all time? I can kind of guess where the poll will lean towards, but just wanted to spark some discussion.

Obviously Ashwin has a long way to go to get to the cumulative wickets taken stat of Warne, but already his average is over a point lower than Warne's, which although a simplistic measure, is the general starting point for these discussions. Does anyone think Ashwin's already better if he retired tomorrow? If not, what would it take to get him there, just more longevity, or some specific achievements?
Why are you comparing a finger spinner to a wrist spinner?

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Ashwin is obviously the better cricketer. Warne the superior bowler, and a mighty fine slip fielder, but you do not lose too much with the ball by picking Ashwin and he's a far better batsman.

Obviously who you actually pick between the two depends on conditions, makeup of the XI, etc.
I think if Warne focused on his batting more he could of had better stats with the bat. Could of averaged in the 20s in Test cricket at least.