• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin v Laker v Verity v Grimmett

Who is the best bowler amongst them in tests?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Well for starters, they both do pretty amazingly well, just that Murali is incredible. Secondly I mentioned flashiness as well which Warne supposedly had lots of.

I also have no idea why you think Shakib would do well with this?
Had his fair share of ****ty teammates and played quite a fair few games against minnow sides.... But on rethinking, I don't think Shakib will do "that" good I was expecting him to with playing plenty big teams, SL and Afghanistan having decent spinners and Miraj and Taijul being quite decent.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Had his fair share of ****ty teammates and played quite a fair few games against minnow sides.... But on rethinking, I don't think Shakib will do "that" good I was expecting him to with playing plenty big teams, SL and Afghanistan having decent spinners and Miraj and Taijul being quite decent.
Shakib is not even the best spinner in the side. Its Taijul

srbhkshk

International Captain
He barely does better than the others. Jadeja actually does much better.

PlayerAverage (Self)Average (Other Spinners)DifferenceRatio
Shakib
31.06​
34.03​
2.96​
1.10​
Jadeja
24.14​
34.53​
10.39​
1.43​

Socerer 01

International Captain
He barely does better than the others. Jadeja actually does much better.

Shakib
31.06​
34.03​
2.96​
1.10​
Jadeja
24.14​
34.53​
10.39​
1.43​
another feather in the cap for Jadeja being the greatest spin all rounder of all time

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Simple. Ashwin has more wickets than Marshall. Ashwin has less wickets than the other two, but he has a better away average against the best team of the ERA (Australia) so he's better.
Is this for real?

Since the subsequent post was obviously trolling, I'll assume the same for this one.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Why? Both Chandrashekhar and Bedi especially did quite well in WI. Rather, Bedi failed in England and the problem of Chandra was his immense inconsistency.
Chandra was the best of the quartet, because although inconsistent, he was penetrative in more given sets of conditions than the rest. This is something of a repeating theme, honestly.

I think he's outclassed though by the later workhorse standard bearers of Indian spin though, in Kumble, and finally the true ATG Ashwin.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I know this will vary according to career circumstances but might still be useful to have a look, Murali and Warne included for reference. Shows why Verity is rated highly, he is actually slightly above Warne in this parameter. Ashwin a fair bit better than Laker and Grimmet.

In matches involving said player.
Murali
22.73​
39.75​
17.02​
1.75​
Verity
24.38​
36.80​
12.43​
1.51​
Warne
25.42​
37.82​
12.41​
1.49​
Ashwin
23.75​
33.55​
9.80​
1.41​
Laker
21.25​
28.22​
6.98​
1.33​
Grimmet
24.22​
31.12​
6.90​
1.28​
Thank you for using facts to answer my earlier question. :thumbsup:

subshakerz

International Coach
Did it do that too though to an actually tangible extent? For example, Warne has a bigger reputation than Murali; but still Murali is leagues above him in this comparison.
Warnes rep is not greatly better. In fact, I think in SC, Muralis may be better.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I know this will vary according to career circumstances but might still be useful to have a look, Murali and Warne included for reference. Shows why Verity is rated highly, he is actually slightly above Warne in this parameter. Ashwin a fair bit better than Laker and Grimmet.

Murali22.7339.7517.021.75
Verity24.3836.8012.431.51
Warne25.4237.8212.411.49
Ashwin23.7533.559.801.41
Laker21.2528.226.981.33
Grimmet24.2231.126.901.28
Just to look at this a different way.

O’Reilly in matches with Grimmett 81 @ 21.46 6 5’fers
Grimmett in matches with O’Reilly 88 @ 20.85 9 5’fers

O’Reilly in Ashes with Grimmett 47 @ 23.51 4 5’fers
Grimmett in Ashes with O’Reilly 30 @ 33.13 2 5’fers

O’Reilly in matches with Verity 92 @ 26.71 6 5’fers
Verity in matches with O’Reilly 59 @ 28.06 3 5’fers

Verity in matches with Grimmett 25 @ 27.32 2 5’fers
Grimmett in matches with Verity 29 @ 32.89 2 5’fers
O’Reilly in matches with Grimmett and Verity (played in all 7 of them) 37 @ 26.37 2 5’fers

Grimmett bowled an average of 36.1 overs per innings
O’Reilly bowled an average of 34.8 overs per innings
Verity bowled an average of 25.5 overs per innings

Verity took 12.4% of his team’s wickets
O’Reilly took 16.9% of his team’s wickets
Grimmett took 18.8% of his team’s wickets

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Murali
22.73​
39.75​
17.02​
1.75​
Verity
24.38​
36.80​
12.43​
1.51​
Warne
25.42​
37.82​
12.41​
1.49​
Ashwin
23.75​
33.55​
9.80​
1.41​
Laker
21.25​
28.22​
6.98​
1.33​
Grimmet
24.22​
31.12​
6.90​
1.28​
Surprised by the difference between Verity and Grimmett. O'Reilly, Grimmett and Verity played in the same era and almost always together/against each other, isn't it? And they all have great averages. So, not sure who else is getting that 36.8 for Verity.

Also, for Murali, unless Warne played, the other spinners during his time didn't have a great average anywhere while Ashwin, Laker and Grimmett era had other good spinners too. For Ashwin, Jadeja himself gets that other spinner average down quite a bit I think.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
"some dude" Hedley Verity has dismissed Don Bradman eight times in his Test career, the most for any bowler against Bradman

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
In conclusion as I’ve said previously, I think Verity’s average is somewhat protected by bowling less, but definitely had a better performance head to head with Grimmett in the Ashes. Grimmett’s average is probably hurt by always being the main bowler (in the Ashes at least), but he was better than both O’Reilly and Verity at running through weaker teams.

Verity (22/40) tbf also played a larger portion of his matches against weaker teams than Grimmett (15/37) or O’Reilly (8/27).