• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin v Laker v Verity v Grimmett

Who is the best bowler amongst them in tests?

• Total voters

Socerer 01

International Captain
Know another player who's quite underrated? Chandrashekhar. Bloke had match winning or drawing performances in almost every place he played in including Australia, England and WI.
nah, he’s rightfully rated

he was also **** on many occasions that go under the radar because everyone’s forgotten those

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
nah, he’s rightfully rated

he was also **** on many occasions that go under the radar because everyone’s forgotten those
I would say he has more match winning or atleast turning performances in SENA than probably any other Asian spinner..... That should definitely push him a few spots for Subs atleast.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I know this will vary according to career circumstances but might still be useful to have a look, Murali and Warne included for reference. Shows why Verity is rated highly, he is actually slightly above Warne in this parameter. Ashwin a fair bit better than Laker and Grimmet.

In matches involving said player.
PlayerAverage (Self)Average (Other Spinners)DifferenceRatio
Murali
22.73​
39.75​
17.02​
1.75​
Verity
24.38​
36.80​
12.43​
1.51​
Warne
25.42​
37.82​
12.41​
1.49​
Ashwin
23.75​
33.55​
9.80​
1.41​
Laker
21.25​
28.22​
6.98​
1.33​
Grimmet
24.22​
31.12​
6.90​
1.28​

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I know this will vary according to career circumstances but might still be useful to have a look, Murali and Warne included for reference. Shows why Verity is rated highly, he is actually slightly above Warne in this parameter. Ashwin a fair bit better than Laker and Grimmet.

Murali
22.73​
39.75​
17.02​
1.75​
Verity
24.38​
36.80​
12.43​
1.51​
Warne
25.42​
37.82​
12.41​
1.49​
Ashwin
23.75​
33.55​
9.80​
1.41​
Laker
21.25​
28.22​
6.98​
1.33​
Grimmet
24.22​
31.12​
6.90​
1.28​
Yeah, but I think an important factor to consider using this parameter is who the other spinners. Like for Grimmett, he played a fair few matches with O'Reilly and Ironmonger. I definitely think that hits him quite hard. Same for Ashwin playing with Jadeja and Laker to an extent with Lock and Wardle (though I have pointed out how in his 4 away tours; Ramadhin, Benaud, Tayfield and Ferguson have outperformed him).

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah, but I think an important factor to consider using this parameter is who the other spinners. Like for Grimmett, he played a fair few matches with O'Reilly and Ironmonger. I definitely think that hits him quite hard. Same for Ashwin playing with Jadeja and Laker to an extent with Lock and Wardle (though I have pointed out how in his 4 away tours; Ramadhin, Benaud, Tayfield and Ferguson have outperformed him).
I understand that but performance relative to peers (along with flashiness which tbh is not much of a factor for spinners) is probably among the key factors that determine the players reputation during their careers, even if it might be an intrinsic feeling rather than an actual analysis.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I understand that but performance relative to peers (along with flashiness which tbh is not much of a factor for spinners) is probably among the key factors that determine the players reputation during their careers, even if it might be an intrinsic feeling rather than an actual analysis.
its much better than blind checklist analysis

Murali
22.73​
39.75​
17.02​
1.75​
Verity
24.38​
36.80​
12.43​
1.51​
Warne
25.42​
37.82​
12.41​
1.49​
Ashwin
23.75​
33.55​
9.80​
1.41​
Laker
21.25​
28.22​
6.98​
1.33​
Grimmet
24.22​
31.12​
6.90​
1.28​
What about O’Reilly?

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I understand that but performance relative to peers (along with flashiness which tbh is not much of a factor for spinners) is probably among the key factors that determine the players reputation, even if it might be an intrinsic feeling rather than an actual analysis.
I mean, think it this way. In matches involving them; Hadlee would outperform other pacers much more than Marshall do. And especially for Grum, he really wasn't better than O'Reilly to begin with. Verity didn't really played together with many great spinners

srbhkshk

International Captain
I mean, think it this way. In matches involving them; Hadlee would outperform other pacers much more than Marshall do. And especially for Grum, he really wasn't better than O'Reilly to begin with. Verity didn't really played together with many great spinners
Which is why I said reputation and not quality.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Only if opposition have quality spinners the though. What I am saying is, Shakib would probably do very good by this excersize.
yeah understandable, im not saying its a good thing in isolation but its good along with other things and its miles better than blind checklists that have been happening recently

srbhkshk

International Captain
Did it do that too though to an actually tangible extent? For example, Warne has a bigger reputation than Murali; but still Murali is leagues above him in this comparison.
Well for starters, they both do pretty amazingly well, just that Murali is incredible. Secondly I mentioned flashiness as well which Warne supposedly had lots of.

I also have no idea why you think Shakib would do well with this?