• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin v Laker v Verity v Grimmett

Who is the best bowler amongst them in tests?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
You may be right about some of your observations here. To balance it out, there is a poster who always votes a non indian player over an indian player in a comparison. I don't want to name him but his voting pattern is obvious. So an Indian always starts with one vote disadvantage in any comparison here.

I am not talking about @subshakerz here, whom I rate as a poster.
I think I know who you’re talking about

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
To clarify, I was split on Verity and Laker and voted Verity, but on second thought I believe Laker might be ahead. We are allowed to make mistakes.
OK, there is a change vote option here in this thread poll. Go and change your vote from Verity to Laker.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Not going to get into Ashwin vs old-timers, which is the main reason behind this poll, I know.

But why is Verity so convincingly over Grimmett? They have virtually identical overall averages and Tests played, and isn't it generally accepted that Grimmett was the more versatile of the two for different conditions? :huh:

subshakerz

International Coach
Not going to get into Ashwin vs old-timers, which is the main reason behind this poll, I know.

But why is Verity so convincingly over Grimmett? They have virtually identical overall averages and Tests played, and isn't it generally accepted that Grimmett was the more versatile of the two for different conditions? :huh:
I totally forgot about Grimmett.

shortpitched713

International Captain
For pre Warne/Murali old timey spinney type bowlers, I have O'Reilly comfortably at the top.

I'm not sure if Grimmett would be right after that, but ahead of all the other sticky merchant, conditions dependent finger spinners, including Laker, Verity, Tayfield, etc, I have Underwood.

Underwood's home/away splits were not bad at all, and so although England persisted with uncovered pitches longer than most other countries, I think the relative resilience of his record, and usefulness in different conditions should put him as the king of said finger spin style.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Oh yeah, Underwood also faced a much better overall standard of batting than the posh tarts the older crowd got to feast on as well, so that's another point in his favor.

subshakerz

International Coach
For pre Warne/Murali old timey spinney type bowlers, I have O'Reilly comfortably at the top.

I'm not sure if Grimmett would be right after that, but ahead of all the other sticky merchant, conditions dependent finger spinners, including Laker, Verity, Tayfield, etc, I have Underwood.

Underwood's home/away splits were not bad at all, and so although England persisted with uncovered pitches longer than most other countries, I think the relative resilience of his record, and usefulness in different conditions should put him as the king of said finger spin style.
Underwood criminally underrated.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Its because of the Windies.

Also careful, if you say something positive about an Indian spinner your rep will be ruined.
Why? Both Chandrashekhar and Bedi especially did quite well in WI. Rather, Bedi failed in England and the problem of Chandra was his immense inconsistency.