• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin - The ATG Spinner

Flem274*

123/5
Same number of countries as Pat Cummins Tbf.

Who cares about dumb expensive 5-150 style 5-fors anyway. He was a critical contributor to two series wins in Australia and made Steve Smith look like a n00b. Ashwin doesn’t do boring stats like a loser, he just Ash-wins.
This is a good point. People get obsessed with arbitrary landmarks when rating players (I get it, achievement endorphins go ping) but often fail to look at contextual good performances.

Ashwins tour of aus is probably the best he's ever bowled (especially in SENA) but I doubt it looks that way on raw numbers.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i dont think Indian fans here are making the doctoring thing argument as a huge slanderous factor that you believe it to be, its more of a matter of fact point thats being made
I'm just reacting to the fact that 90% of the discussion in this thread has been about that factor. I didn't initiate it or even really contribute to it much

and more specifically XiXi's attempt to call out opposition to it as "cope". I don't have a strong opinion either way just pointing out a clear error

OverratedSanity

This is a good point. People get obsessed with arbitrary landmarks when rating players (I get it, achievement endorphins go ping) but often fail to look at contextual good performances.

Ashwins tour of aus is probably the best he's ever bowled (especially in SENA) but I doubt it looks that way on raw numbers.
He was genuinely our best bowler in the first two games of that second tour and I'm kinda amazed that non Indian posters have tried to rewrite history there and frame his wickets as some kind of holding support role. He was bowling with the new ball knocking over their top order batsmen and making life hell for Smith. Then in the third game when his bowling slipped a bit with an injured back he plays a match saving innings. Genuinely heroic performance. But yeah because he didn't pick up 5-175 in a game, he wasn't that great lmao.

His numbers in the last four games in Australia (2019 and 2021 tours) are: 18 wickets in 4 matches @27. 2 series wins. 1 match saved with the bat. Doesn't really get much better for a spin bowler who can bat tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
He was genuinely our best bowler in the first two games of that second tour and I'm kinda amazed that non Indian posters have tried to rewrite history there and frame his wickets as some kind of holding support role. He was bowling with the new ball knocking over their top order batsmen and making life hell for Smith. Then in the third game when his bowling slipped a bit with an injured back he plays a match saving innings. Genuinely heroic performance. But yeah because he didn't pick up 5-175 in a game, he wasn't that great lmao.

His numbers in the last four games in Australia (2019 and 2021 tours) are: 18 wickets in 4 matches @27. 2 series wins. 1 match saved with the bat. Doesn't really get much better for a spin bowler who can bat tbh.
I'm not saying you're wrong but I will point out that Lyon often gets held to a much higher standard than this, and has copped of a lot of criticism in his career - less so on here, more from casuals - for not running through sides even outside the subcontinent.

subshakerz

International Coach
I've always said it is a good tour but the way it's been exaggerated to establish his ATG credentials is what I disagree with.

OverratedSanity

I'm not saying you're wrong but I will point out that Lyon often gets held to a much higher standard than this, and has copped of a lot of criticism in his career - less so on here, more from casuals - for not running through sides even outside the subcontinent.
Well boohoo for Lyon I guess. Not really sure what that has to do with anything that's being discussed.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Ashwin outbowling Lyon in Australia is a myth when you look head to head stats they are kinda similar except in Adelaide day/night test where he outbowled Lyon.

Socerer 01

International Captain
le casuals were also ****ting on Cam Green for not being prime Miller ever since his 2nd test match so im not sure what’s the point here

Socerer 01

International Captain
Ashwin outbowling Lyon in Australia is a myth when you look head to head stats they are kinda similar except in Adelaide day/night test where he outbowled Lyon.
so they are kinda similar as long as you take out the instances of him outbowling Lyon which means he did outbowl him