• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are multi-format greats a thing of past?

Bijed

International Regular
Hopefully we can attribute Anderson's run in the last few years to friendly pitches as well.
Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that Anderson's home success over the past few years has been purely down to assistance from the pitches. Atmospheric conditions have played a part too :ph34r:

But seriously, Jadeja and Anderson are pretty similar in that regard - both lethal in the conditions that they've honed their game for and have both developed themselves to be reliable, if less potent, in other conditions.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup, I've defended Anderson on here quite a bit, he's an ATG in my books. Any team could use someone who's that good at home.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andersons disparity between home and away isn’t as bad as Ashwin’s tbf. Not sure about Jadeja who doesn’t really have that big a sample size of away games.

By away games I basically mean no so favourable conditions btw.

Bolo

State Captain
Andersons disparity between home and away isn’t as bad as Ashwin’s tbf. Not sure about Jadeja who doesn’t really have that big a sample size of away games.

By away games I basically mean no so favourable conditions btw.
Ashwin is a ****ing finger spinner who probably averages less with the ball away from home as clouderson, while having a comparable home record.

And he's a better bat than any opener England have had between the retirement of cook and the glorious debut of leach.*

*my account was hacked. Either by sledger or alcohol. I can't be sure which until I sober up.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson doesn’t get left out of the side 90% of the away games.
That is also due to conditions and team combination. India like other teams go with 1 spinner out of 4/5 bowlers and sometimes with an all pace unit. So Anderson is competing for 3 out of 4/5 positions while Ashwin/Jadeja are competing for 1 out of 4/5 positions. So, inevitably, one of the spinners will have to be left out.

Same reason why Root or Guptill struggle to find even a single bid in IPL and Williamson/Steyn get left out of their IPL teams.