• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Australia a better side now than 12-18 months ago?

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
You know i don't think we are better than 18 months ago...but I don't think we need to be. We had some awful luck, faced some suspiciously good swing bowling and just didn't find any touch. It was a big series, but it was one series. As arrogant as Hayden was saying that it only mattered how well the australians played...he is dead right, and many of our key players didn't play well. Huss is a massive inclusion, Clark is better than what Gillespie was a year ago and we are going into this series better prepared than any before. The confidence that england seems to have is that we seemingly haven't made any changes - I don't think we needed to make many changes, we just need to play better, and there's no doubt we can. Our team has incredible fighting spirit and are incredibly hard to beat, even if we are seemingly getting flogged. We only need to improve by 20% on 2005 to beat these guys...I think we've probably gained 10-15 from getting rid of Dizzy and getting in Huss...but the key is the rest of the side have another 60-80 up their sleeves from last year.

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
Prince EWS said:
Adam Gilchrist perhaps. He dominated NZ (as he always does) before the Ashes.
and marto...he was red hot fav to take out the AB medal about a month before the ashes after making about 6 tons in the calendar year. he was still in red hot form and batted beautifully with clarke in tough conditions in the 1st test....followed by two nicks onto pads given out leg before and the rest is history. he's still the most stylish batsmen in test cricket since mark waugh - he looked on song in that final test against the Saffers..but he becomes complacent at times when he becomes too comfortable in his position. As there's currently very little comfort sitting in at number 4 for australia, look for a red hot series from him this time around.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
valvolux said:
and marto...he was red hot fav to take out the AB medal about a month before the ashes after making about 6 tons in the calendar year. he was still in red hot form and batted beautifully with clarke in tough conditions in the 1st test....followed by two nicks onto pads given out leg before and the rest is history. he's still the most stylish batsmen in test cricket since mark waugh - he looked on song in that final test against the Saffers..but he becomes complacent at times when he becomes too comfortable in his position. As there's currently very little comfort sitting in at number 4 for australia, look for a red hot series from him this time around.
EDIT just realised you were talking about Martyn. Fair enough.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
No - they're just older. Since the Ashes last year they've gained one great player - Mike Hussey who should have played in the last Ashes - and Brett Lee's bowling has improved. The search for new talent has been so unsuccsessful that in SA and Bangladesh they recalled Ashes flops Martyn, Kasprowicz and Gillespie(Clarke is different because he's young and can still improve). Hayden and Ponting are scoring runs and Warne bowled briliantly but we knew that already. Yes they've won all but one of their Tests since the last Ashes but against the ICC Waste of time(sorry world)XI the worst WI team ever, SA who were hindered by Grahame Smith's inability to bat as well as he talked, and Bangladesh what would you expect? Had Australia been to India or Pakistan like England have would they have done any better? Australia are still an excellent side but slowly falling from their peak(the last WC in my opinion).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poker Boy said:
No - they're just older. Since the Ashes last year they've gained one great player - Mike Hussey who should have played in the last Ashes - and Brett Lee's bowling has improved. The search for new talent has been so unsuccsessful that in SA and Bangladesh they recalled Ashes flops Martyn, Kasprowicz and Gillespie(Clarke is different because he's young and can still improve). Hayden and Ponting are scoring runs and Warne bowled briliantly but we knew that already. Yes they've won all but one of their Tests since the last Ashes but against the ICC Waste of time(sorry world)XI the worst WI team ever, SA who were hindered by Grahame Smith's inability to bat as well as he talked, and Bangladesh what would you expect? Had Australia been to India or Pakistan like England have would they have done any better? Australia are still an excellent side but slowly falling from their peak(the last WC in my opinion).
Brad Hodge and Stuart Clark hardly did badly.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I agree with you about Hodge but Australia's selectors obviously didn't think so as they dropped him for SA tour two Tests after he scored a double-hundred! And didn't they drop Clark in Bangladesh?