• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds !

Mingster

State Regular
Mister Wright said:
His medium pacers are anything but over-rated, infact they are under-rated.
Interesting that his career bowling record is so crap...

Symonds bowled spin in the last 2 Tests, and that kind of destroyed the whole meaning of him being there, to bowl medium pace. Katich would have done a better job at spinning.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Interesting that his career bowling record is so crap...

Symonds bowled spin in the last 2 Tests, and that kind of destroyed the whole meaning of him being there, to bowl medium pace. Katich would have done a better job at spinning.
I heard that Katich had an injury which prevented him bowling.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
mavric41 said:
I heard that Katich had an injury which prevented him bowling.
Yeah, Katich had an injury to his ring finger on his bowling hand which would have prevented him bowling for the first 2 tests anyways.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
fair enough Symonds got his chance in the 1st and 2nd
IMO if I was the selector, after 1st Test I would of still picked Symonds for the 2nd Test to give him one more chance to prove himself as he could of been suffering from debut nerves which affected his performance.

But Symonds didn't play well enough IMO in the 2nd Test to stay in the side for the 3rd Test. I would have also replaced Symonds with Simon Katich.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I dont rate Katich as a batsman, hes far too slow in my opinion, however I haven't seen him enough to reserve the right to judge him

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Armadillo said:
I dont rate Katich as a batsman, hes far too slow in my opinion,
Simon Katich's Test Batting Strike Rate (prior to the 3rd Test against Sri Lanka) is 65.01.

Simon Katich's ODI Strike Rate is 77.19

Now thats not slow ;)

The 3rd Umpire

Cricket Spectator
Armadillo said:
I dont rate Katich as a batsman, hes far too slow in my opinion, however I haven't seen him enough to reserve the right to judge him
I'm assuming you watched him in action during Australia's 2001 tour of England? I must admit he was not international material in those days, as his confidence, and therefore his scoring ability, have improved. He is now a versatile batsman who can play stoutly when required ( eg. the Sydney Test against India ) or he can score very quickly. I've seen him play some blinding innings in the domestic OD comp at better than a run a ball.

The most impressive thing about him is that he has dramatically improved his technique against spin since his move from WA to NSW. Against India, he was the only Aussie batsman to use his feet when playing Kumble. That's no mean feat, as he doesn't give the ball much air.

Unfortunately he didn't make a big score against the Sri Lankans....

Craig

World Traveller
But Katich will likely score a ton or two against Zimbabwe since Australia are touring there.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig[/i] [B]I will have to admit I was proven wrong about any comments about Martyn.[/B][/QUOTE] Well done. Well done :P:) And yes he did score at a slower rate said:
The most impressive thing about him is that he has dramatically improved his technique against spin since his move from WA to NSW.
Not surprising really. Marto, Gilchrist, Langer... see a pattern occuring there?:P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The 3rd Umpire said:
Unfortunately he didn't make a big score against the Sri Lankans....
he would probably be a little out of match practice, not to worry, Atapattu has given him a 2nd dig for the match :)

The 3rd Umpire

Cricket Spectator
Linda said:
Not surprising really. Marto, Gilchrist, Langer... see a pattern occuring there?:P
Oh no, not another advocate for the partition of WA. :D

Seriously though, WA has provided some strong batting over the last decade or so, especially if you include Hussey the younger. Strangely, your fast bowling stocks are comparatively weak ATM. Maybe it's just a phase....

Hopefully Katich makes a few in the 2nd innings. Does anyone know if he had a trundle or is he still injured?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 3rd Umpire said:
Oh no, not another advocate for the partition of WA. :D

Seriously though, WA has provided some strong batting over the last decade or so, especially if you include Hussey the younger. Strangely, your fast bowling stocks are comparatively weak ATM. Maybe it's just a phase....

Hopefully Katich makes a few in the 2nd innings. Does anyone know if he had a trundle or is he still injured?
He had a trundle, but he may aswell have been injured.