• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
The original reason why Anderson came into the test side was because he did well in some ODI's that he played in. He got a really good start to his test career by taking lots of wickets aginst the Zimbabweans (not the most difficult team in the world), but when he came to tackle South Africa in the summer, he started to realise that good test batsmen will punish your bowling if you stray off line. He soon lost confidence and bowled plenty of hittable deliveries and hardly ever took any wickets (which was what he was in the team to do). He got taken out of the squad as he was proven a hinderence to the team.
He had a game agiainst the West Indies last year but again, he got smashed by the weakest West Indies team I've seen in years. The real problem was that he had not played enough county cricket for Lancashire, and not enough cricket generally. He needed to learn how to bowl to quality bastmen again.
This season he has been a lot better for Lancashire and has bowled well in the 20twenty competition.
I think that he should have another couple of good, solid years in the county system without any injuries before he has learnt to become a top-quality bowler again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hazza said:
This season he has been a lot better for Lancashire and has bowled well in the 20twenty competition.
The one competition where his performance is utterly irrelevant.
Fortunately, he's also performed well in the one-dayers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kendall said:
I think you will be proved very wrong about Tremlett and he doesnt just take wickets at the rose bowl.
Oh, no, indeed, but he regularly bowls average to poorly at The Rose Bowl and still ends-up getting decent figures.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
He has always bowled pretty well when ive seen him and he is one of those bowlers that gets wickets with not always the best deliveries probably because of the awkard bounce. That doesnt make him any less good as a bowler

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does, he often gets wickets with rubbish deliveries and often profits from the paucity of the Rose Bowl wickets.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
He is very akward too play against and the fact is he gets wickets that is what a bowler is supposed too do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He is very easy to play as you can see by the rare occasion decent batsmen have faced him on even pitches.
The fact that he gets a bit of bounce matters not a jot; and the simple fact that he's got wickets to his name is not the only relevance.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Surley you can find examples of every bowler except maybe the very best looking easy too play against on even pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends on whether it's seaming or turning.
If Tremlett could do more than get wickets with uneven bounce and poor strokes maybe he might be better than terrible.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
It is infuriating but enjoyable all the same and makes this place far better certianly it is getting my post count up.
But why exactly does he get more poor strokes? you can put it down too luck fine he is lucky so he gets more wickets that is a good thing

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A good thing for those who think he's a good bowler, yes.
Not a good thing for when it means he gets picked for England and gets smacked all over everywhere.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
A good thing for those who think he's a good bowler, yes.
Not a good thing for when it means he gets picked for England and gets smacked all over everywhere.
So what happens if he keeps "getting lucky" when playing for England?

For what it's worth, I think he's a wonderful prospect for England after seeing him in the ODIs. He's supremely accurate for such a young bowler, his height is a big advantage, and I think he's quite capable of becoming a successful international bowler.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Chris certainly looks the goods, I must say. He`ll get a go in at least one of the Tests I reckon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
So what happens if he keeps "getting lucky" when playing for England?

For what it's worth, I think he's a wonderful prospect for England after seeing him in the ODIs. He's supremely accurate for such a young bowler, his height is a big advantage, and I think he's quite capable of becoming a successful international bowler.
Supremely accurate?
I mean, I know most people overdo the deeds of young players, but... supremely accurate?
You simply have to have been on another planet to make that sort of ascertation.
And as for "such a young bowler"... that'd imply someone in his 1st season, or 2nd at the very least.
Tremlett is currently in his 6th season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
Chris certainly looks the goods, I must say. He`ll get a go in at least one of the Tests I reckon.
I'd not bet against it, certainly - and that makes the already slim chances go down further still.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Supremely accurate?
I mean, I know most people overdo the deeds of young players, but... supremely accurate?
You simply have to have been on another planet to make that sort of ascertation.
And as for "such a young bowler"... that'd imply someone in his 1st season, or 2nd at the very least.
Tremlett is currently in his 6th season.
Out of intrest how many times have you seen Tremlet bowl?
And he is sill a young player its just that he started very young which is a good thing he has experience of county cricket but stil has a long international carrer infront of him

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen him bowl about 20 times, not that it really matters - you could watch him about 3 and still see how rubbish he is.