• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
But is he only to be judged on that one Test, or we can now count his entire pre-war career? I love Faulkner and rate him very highly, but that feels like a cheat!
Ya,you can’t have Barnes.The best bowler before WW1 and arguably of all time.So,I don’t think Faulkner should be eligible as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think AB was the best keeper out of Sanga, AB and Flower. It could just be because of his natural athleticism but he combined test keeping and batting for enough of a period for me to put him at that pedestal.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I honestly think AB was the best keeper out of Sanga, AB and Flower. It could just be because of his natural athleticism but he combined test keeping and batting for enough of a period for me to put him at that pedestal.
I think so. For some reason always surprised me how proficient he was whenever he took up the job.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think he averaged even better as a bat when keeping.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ya,you can’t have Barnes.The best bowler before WW1 and arguably of all time.So,I don’t think Faulkner should be eligible as well.
Genuinely curious as to on what basis would you say he is arguably the greatest bowler of all time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Cmon mate we definitely all know he’s up there in the discussion. Hard to compare with modern bowlers of course but he’s always been among the top tier for sure.
He's impossible to compare to be honest.

We don't even know what he bowled or can see it for ourselves. It's even arguable if he bowled pace or spin, his numbers vs Australia were about par and he boosted his figures vs the way sub par teams of the era.
That was a different era and almost a different game.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
He's impossible to compare to be honest.

We don't even know what he bowled or can see it for ourselves. It's even arguable if he bowled pace or spin, his numbers vs Australia were about par and he boosted his figures vs the way sub par teams of the era.
That was a different era and almost a different game.
106 wkts at 36 innings in 20 matches at 21.5 vs Australia doesn’t look bad.S.F Barnes adjusted stats had him no.2 in DoG’s 100 greatest bowler.From DoG’s 100 greatest bowler.
No.2

Sydney Barnes (England) 967

Quality Points: 891
Career Points: 76

Career: 1901-1914
Wickets: 189
Gold Performances: 4
5/44 vs. Australia at Melbourne 1911/12 (15.75)
8/29 vs. South Africa at The Oval 1912 (16.91)
8/56 vs. South Africa at Johannesburg 1913 (16.99)
9/103 vs. South Africa at Johannesburg 1913 (17.00)
Silver Performances: 15
Bronze Performances: 5

Overall Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 20.25 (16.43) 50.92 (41.66) 8.19 (rank 1)
50 Innings Peak Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings (1901-1914): 20.25 50.92 8.19 (rank 7)
Non-Home Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 21.89 53.77 8.17 (rank 2)
Quality Opposition Average/Strike-Rate/Points Per Innings: 25.42 63.38 6.34 (rank 21)

The best bowler of all-time? Certainly, Sydney Barnes has a great case as he has the highest quality points of any bowler to have played the game. Very little footage is available of him (I have posted a link of the only YouTube footage I know to exist). His adjusted averages and strike-rates across all criteria are very good, but are still comparable to other great bowlers. His average against Australia is nothing special. But what separates Barnes from the rest is the sheer impact he made on the matches he played in. He averaged a neat 7 wickets a match and achieved a medal performance in 24 out of the 50 innings he bowled in. As a point of comparison, 36% of Don Bradman's innings were medal-worthy. A difficult character, he played in less than half of England's test matches between 1901 and the Great War. He also missed the last test match of the South African series in 1913/14 because of a financial disagreement. If he did play, he would possibly have reached 50 wickets in the series, and 200 wickets overall. In 28 tests. There is only one bowler that can close to being as prolific as SF Barnes. And he is no.1.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Third XI

Geoffrey Boycott
Bob Simpson
George Headley
Kumar Sangakkara
-
-
Les Ames +
-