• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
I like this XI but I can’t help thinking if you’re gonna play Imran at 7, you’d be better off dropping a quick for Warne, giving yourself 3 quicks, 2 spinners, plus Sobers.
I think two spinners would be overkill, Murali was so damn great! Add in Sobers who may decide a few overs of left arm spin and I jus tthink it works better. But Warne could be in the side too, it's just by the closest of margins I left him out.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Steyn has more wickets than Akram in far less tests, at a better average and way better SR while also having more 5 wicket hauls. All this in a more batsman friendly era. And yet it is nonsense to rank him above Akram.
If it's stats you care about then Shane Bond is the greatest bowler of all time. Yawn.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think two spinners would be overkill, Murali was so damn great! Add in Sobers who may decide a few overs of left arm spin and I jus tthink it works better. But Warne could be in the side too, it's just by the closest of margins I left him out.
Sobers was a much better pacer than spinner though

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith and Steyn go thru

CricketWeb Second Test XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Herb Sutcliffe
Brian Lara
Wally Hammond
Steve Smith
-
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose

Muttiah Muralitharan
And yeah, would be best to switch Lara with Hammond.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
CricketWeb Second Test XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Herb Sutcliffe
Wally Hammond
Jacques Kallis
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Third XI

I’ll speed things up a bit here:

- select 2 opening batsmen

- select 2 opening bowlers

- select a wicketkeeper

- select a # 3 batsman

ataraxia

International Coach
B Richards
B Simpson (purposely avoiding WG, again)

Trueman
Barnes (thx morgs)

Ames

Headley

Captain for 2nd XI?

edit: adjusted a couple of times

Last edited: