• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ageing Australians

Andre

International Regular
So, with the Waughs, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath heading towards the last part of their careers, who should take over from them in the Australian side when they go?

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think the Waughs will be replaced quickly and easily. There is a bag of talent within the oldies like Lehmann, Maher, Love, Bevan, Blewett etc. and then with young guns of Katich, Hussey and Watson... batting is strong in Australian cricket.

I think MacGill will probably slot into the team for a while after Warnie (I'm guessing the end of the '03-'04 Aussie summer??) if he's in form, otherwise there is some spinning talent in Hauritz and even in young guys like Cameron White (I think it's Cameron, anyway). Spin bowlers won't be a problem either.

However, Mighty McGrath will be a tough one to replace. The opening combination of Gillespie and Lee doesn't look anywhere near as strong and reliable. Also, there have been few bowlers (apart from Bichel) who have been knocking on the selectors' doors consistently in the past few years. There is no where near the fast-bowling depth in Australia as there is in the batting.

However, I will say that this is a reasonably pessimistic view. Many people were saying how Australian cricket wouldn't be as strong when Boarder retired, or McDermott retired or Taylor retired. And yet, in post-Boarder and post-McDermott times, Australian cricket has never been stronger. All I'm saying is, perhaps Gillespie will go on to take 400 wickets, and Hauritz will cement his place in the side and take 500+ wickets and these two will become the best bowlers in Australian history....

(yeah.....)

Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath are all good, but there will be better players for Australia than all of these guys... it's just a matter of time.

masterblaster

International Captain
Aussie Team has likes of Jimmy Maher who is 28, Darren Lehmann who is 30 odd, Bevan who is 31 odd, S Lee, Warne, McGrath all over 30. The only young players Australia have are Watson and Hauritz and they havent flattered.

India on the other hand has Sehwag who is 23, Kaif who is 21, Yuvraj Singh who is 20, Harbhajan who is 20, Ashish Nehra and Zaheer Khan who are 23 each, and Ajit Agarkar who has played 100 ODI's for 152 ODI wickets is just 24!! By 38 he could take like 400!!!

So they are two contrasting teams, with the Indian test and ODI Team having only 1 guy over 30 which is Anil Kumble and he is 31!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't Agarkar the player who is always being dropped & selected?, one minute he's a hero & the next he's not wanted.

It's all very well to have a young team, but the minute they hit a pressure situation you'll find out exactly why teams need experience aswell.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You guys aren't looking deep enough for the New Aussie talent. Believe me, guys like Aaron Bird will be playing high in the ranks sometime soon. He's a pretty god fast bowler. Then there's Mitchell Johnston and my personal favourite, Paul Rofe. These guys are all potential world-beaters, and in Mitchell Johnston, you have someone who could be quicker than Brett Lee, plus he's a lefty!

As for the batting, Michael Clarke will be looked at very seriously this year I reckon.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Batting- Clarke, Katich, HUSSEY, perren and bevan

Spinners - White, Macgill, hogg

Pace - Lee, inness, bichel, that other really quick guy from QLD, bracken and williams

i dont think that we have any problems yet, do you??

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Batting: Maher, Love, Katich, Hussey, Clarke
Spin: Hauritz, White, Doherty
All-Round: Watson
Pace: Rofe, Inness, Johnson, MacKenzie, Noffke, Nicholson

There's plenty of talent there. Mark Waugh will be the next to be replaced some time this season but I think the other 3 guys have at least 2 seasons left in them as long as they play well.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Someone people forgot to mention is Marcus North He had a great season last year and is still very very young.

He won the worriors best performance of the season with his double hundred to save them from innings deffeat

Top_Cat

Someone people forgot to mention is Marcus North He had a great season last year and is still very very young.

He won the worriors best performance of the season with his double hundred to save them from innings deffeat
Actually yeah he's a very good looking player. And don't forget in the same team is Geoff Marsh's son, Shaun Marsh. He WILL play Test cricket. I have no doubt about that.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
make mcgrath a nun and u will see australia fight with west indies. In my opinion mcgrath is the man behind australia's test domination

[Edited on 7/15/02 by scorpio]

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
Mcgrath is the rock. He always saves the day when our batting lets us down.

[Edited on 7/15/02 by anthonysw]

Anoop

U19 12th Man
But don't you think these young guys should be given more chances??. Almost all of the Aussie big guns are in the same age bracket. What would happen if all of them retire together? I do not think the young guys can perform well with zero match practice. Look at what happened to West Indies!

Top_Cat

But don't you think these young guys should be given more chances??. Almost all of the Aussie big guns are in the same age bracket. What would happen if all of them retire together? I do not think the young guys can perform well with zero match practice. Look at what happened to West Indies!
That's why guys like Nathan Hauritz, Nathan Bracken, Shane Watson, Brad Williams etc. ARE given chances to prove themselves. I think, in fact, hat this coming summer will see quite a bit of experimenting. Matthew Clarke is one who could find himself selected along with guys the others. We'll probably see more of Nathan Bracken this summer too.

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
I must say that i was very impressed with Bracken's line & control when the Aussies were here last year. Think he got Sachin out twice or thrice in the one-dayers , which is a huge reward ! The guy deserves a go in the test squad . I believe that with Bangladesh & Zimbabwe set to tour down under , a few young turks might definitely get their chances.

Didnt the Aussie team win the under-19 WC early this year ? Which players impressed the most ?

Top_Cat

Didnt the Aussie team win the under-19 WC early this year ? Which players impressed the most ?
Mark Cosgrove (a fellow South Aussie; I might look to interview him soon) and Aaron Bird were two of the big names to come out of that tournament.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Brett Lee and Warne have done some great improvement on their batting in tests , they seem to batting pretty good ... i mean both of them contributed in the nz tour of aus