• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adjusting the batting average based on actual quality

srbhkshk

International Captain
Here's a few more retired bowlers of the modern era with careers of importance, outside the very top bowlers list. The regression model extrapolation holds up better than I expected:

Ian Botham:
Regression Adjusted Average = 27.03 Delta = -1.374

Anil Kumble:
Regression Adjusted Average = 27.86 Delta = -1.789

Jacques Kallis:
Regression Adjusted Average = 33.91 Delta = 1.260

Did you ever put out these numbers for the active batting and bowling greats? Or does the system not support them atm?

shortpitched713

International Captain
I put no stock in these kind of ratings exercises at all, but your issues here look like "shortpitched713 problems" rather than actual problems with the system. You think Philander and Kaneria are better than they are so when they don't end up as high as you want it's because of "nationalism"
Those are just two examples. I tend to just think, underresearched players at that ranking level + flagging voter interest created a scenario where the big 3 fan base countries ended up being way overrepresented at the lower end of the poll result.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Did you ever put out these numbers for the active batting and bowling greats? Or does the system not support them atm?
It would require more work. Which I'm not really able to do at the moment, or even for the foreseeable future. :(

My methodology was laid out pretty clearly, for anyone who wants to continue that work.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Kim jong un made his infamous 807* against Cuba and that game got test status somehow. Massive minnow bully.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Kim jong un made his infamous 807* against Cuba and that game got test status somehow. Massive minnow bully.
Parody? Can't be sure hence asking.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's obviously fake news but North Koreans could be believing this in earnest so it may not be parody. Check this: