• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers vs Virat Kohli

Who is better ODI player

• Total voters

Bolo

State Captain
However it is worked out, it is does produce some pretty good results. Whatever formula they use, it's been fine-tuned fairly well- I've never looked at a rating and been bemused when comparing to their actual performances.

Whether or not there is much value in a peak rating is a different question considering how heavily they favour recent performances, but it's a different question.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
I think its better to exclude Sachins teen years for a fair comparison.
I will try to post both filtered and unfiltered just for the comparison sake. Wish cricinfo had interactive graphs of their own for us all to see.
Something's surely not right there. How can they both have been out caught more than 100% of the time?
That actually the number, the percentage is after the comma.
Dont be silly, everyone knows Sachin career was unusually long and he started when he was a school boy.

Player 1 - 10yrs - 40 avg

Player 2
5 yrs 30 avg
10yrs 45 avg
Overall 15yrs 37 avg

So, Who is better?
Ability to play for longer years is a skill of its own kind. Its easy to say if XYZ player had played for ABC years then he would have had all the records. Well why didn't he play for that long then?
Yeah player should be and will be judged based on their entire career. I personally have never been fan of "peak" concept.
Absolutely. Sachin was deemed mature enough to be selected and play for the international side and excluding his teenage records irrespective of good or bad would be dishonesty.
The peak rating stuff is horse**** anyway. We don't even know what formula they use to calculate them.
Peak ratings can be misleading if a player performed really well for a short burst while didn't do much great rest of his career.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. 1 vs. No. 2 would certainly make a difference while facing a bowler like Starc who has a penchant for taking wickets in the first over. Agree that Sachin's stats as opener should include both positions.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
The more we go on, the more the answer is going to be Kohli. Virat is at his peak right now and as much as myself and so many others don't want to admit it, ABD is past his prime and on a down swing. (and he has been for a little while now)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that why he's averaged >50 at strike rates >100 in 4 of the 6 ODI series he's played in the last year or so.

robbypark

U19 Debutant
Is that why he's averaged >50 at strike rates >100 in 4 of the 6 ODI series he's played in the last year or so.
Yeah because he really beat up some top bowling sides in those ODIs right? When he faced good bowling sides(aka India and Pakistan) he was complete trash. The #1 sign he's getting worse is the fact that AB more than any other top player gets out in the most idiotic ways - he has brain farts that players of his caliber shouldn't be having so often. He's not what he once was - anybody with eyes can see that.