• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pace Quartet or Spinner

subshakerz

International Coach
If you were building one attack for all conditions and had four worldclass pace bowlers, would you remove one to make place for a spinner of Lyon/Swann class?

capt_Luffy

International Regular
If you were building one attack for all conditions and had four worldclass pace bowlers, would you remove one to make place for a spinner of Lyon/Swann class?
If those 4 are Marshall, McGrath, Steyn and Imran; then probably not, if are WI quartet level, then yes.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends on if I have a solid all-rounder or not and how good my backup pacers are. If you have a 3+ test series on shorter turnaround I don't know if a 4 pace attack with no spinner or 5th option is going to hold up.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There'd be a Royal Commission if you benched any of those quicks for a spinner the quality of those in the OP.

Burgey

Yeah but then it's sort of not to do with their quality as bowlers. I sort of assume they're all at full fitness and available.

TheJediBrah

Not really a practical question. There's no scenario where you're going to be forced to pick one or the other for all conditions. Just leave one out for a spinner if it's going to be a dogtrack of a turner otherwise play the 4 quicks

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who are they benching of that quality though?
Pattinson - obviously injured a lot but was potentially a great
Boland - worldclass in the right conditions
Neser - never given a chance
Jye Richardson - wrecked by injury but a worldclass talent

Australia could often have played 4 quicks by adding 1 of the above to their regular pace triumvirate, dropping Lyon, and getting part-time spin out of the likes of Smith, Labuschagne, and Head but saw the important balance that Lyon gives their side.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
If those 4 are Marshall, McGrath, Steyn and Imran; then probably not, if are WI quartet level, then yes.
I assume you're referring to, or could only be referring to Roberts, who incidentally was the leader of the pack. And according to some like Sunny, the best of the lot. So not dropping him for Lyon or Swann in most conditions.

Garner and Holding were borderline if not ATG (and right there with Lillee and Imran from the era in terms of quality) and the only reason Croft wasn't rated is longevity.

subshakerz

International Coach
I assume you're referring to, or could only be referring to Roberts, who incidentally was the leader of the pack. And according to some like Sunny, the best of the lot. So not dropping him for Lyon or Swann in most conditions.

Garner and Holding were borderline if not ATG (and right there with Lillee and Imran from the era in terms of quality) and the only reason Croft wasn't rated is longevity.
I guess the question is your team more assured of success for that 4th bowler position of a good spinner or a great pacer.

I honestly see Lloyd playing Lyon or Swann pretty regularly if you have Croft/Garner/Holding etc. up front.

Again we are assuming against regular teams. 4 pacers of that quality is simply overkill in any condition that isn't spin or batting friendly.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess the question is your team more assured of success for that 4th bowler position of a good spinner or a great pacer.

I honestly see Lloyd playing Lyon or Swann pretty regularly if you have Croft/Garner/Holding etc. up front.

Again we are assuming against regular teams. 4 pacers of that quality is simply overkill in any condition that isn't spin or batting friendly.
There are scenarios where Harper played, and one famous one when he should have, that's not in question. For "most" conditions however, what made the team terrifying to face was the unrelenting pace and aggression.

It's different from let's say Marshall, McGrath, Steyn and Hadlee where each bowler is doing something different and testing your technique in different ways. They tested your technique, commitment and courage.

Yes some think they went over board and it did precipitate rule changes (which I will never not find hilarious considering it was a consistent part of the even pre war) which was more than a tad hypocritical, but I digress and it was effective.

subshakerz

International Coach
There are scenarios where Harper played, and one famous one when he should have, that's not in question. For "most" conditions however, what made the team terrifying to face was the unrelenting pace and aggression.

It's different from let's say Marshall, McGrath, Steyn and Hadlee where each bowler is doing something different and testing your technique in different ways. They tested your technique, commitment and courage.

Yes some think they went over board and it did precipitate rule changes (which I will never not find hilarious considering it was a consistent part of the even pre war) which was more than a tad hypocritical, but I digress and it was effective.
I understand.

However Harper is nowhere as good as Lyon or Swann who are matchwinners at least once most series when conditions suit.

If you have Hadlee, Marshall, Steyn, McGrath facing your average teams, honestly don't see much a fourth seamer will do that the three other seamers can't accomplish among themselves pacewise.

Whereas I definitely see Swann and Lyon being useful outside of three ATG pacers in limited but common scenarios if the pitch is dead and you need stock overs or in the SC, enough to justify their inclusion.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Pattinson - obviously injured a lot but was potentially a great
Boland - worldclass in the right conditions
Neser - never given a chance
Jye Richardson - wrecked by injury but a worldclass talent

Australia could often have played 4 quicks by adding 1 of the above to their regular pace triumvirate, dropping Lyon, and getting part-time spin out of the likes of Smith, Labuschagne, and Head but saw the important balance that Lyon gives their side.
England before Stokes was captain would have absolutely done what you said in the last paragraph

subshakerz

International Coach
Not really a practical question. There's no scenario where you're going to be forced to pick one or the other for all conditions. Just leave one out for a spinner if it's going to be a dogtrack of a turner otherwise play the 4 quicks
Yeah but then this logic defeats all our hypothetical ATG XI selections.

shortpitched713

International Captain
You are specific about one half of the equation, but not the other. Who are the 4 worldclass pace bowlers?

Also, do you have meaningful part-timers (even a batting allrounder), of either pace or spin variety)?

Finally, what sort of rules/enforcement is in place, in relation to over rate?