• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Barry Richards deserve an exemption to be ranked among the greats of the game?

Great of the Game, yes or no

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No need to rate his accomplishments, we all know them, he even made the Cricinfo all time 2nd team with all but Sutcliffe available.
Anyone who saw him in country cricket would attest he was at the very least better than Sir Cuthbert, who he opened with.

I'm pretty sure I know the result, but let's hear it.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Barry richards was tested by more quality bowlers than many of the pre war cricketers who all get jerked by this forum as universe greats

so yes

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know he did a lot more in the unofficial/rebel tests as well as succeeding far more in his brief sample size of actual tests, but its intriguing the gap in reputation Barry Richards has over Jimmy Cook considering their similar FC records.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well on the one hand, why would you say their Richards' and Cook's FC records are similar? Isn't Barry's just markedly better both for average and longevity?

Secondly, I do think there is way too much stock put in Barry's excellent record in way too small a sample size of Tests. Cook, unfortunately did not deliver in the same way.

But neither can be considered Test ATG's obviously. It would be farcical to even consider. Might as well throw Ganteaume as the GOAT WK batsman as well, while we're at it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anyone says he shouldn't be considered a great player.

A great test cricketer though? No. Richards/Procter sit with guys like Van der bijl, Le Roux, Franklyn Stephenson etc.

SeamUp

International Coach
I listen to his contemporaries and the greats before him & those knowledgeable about the game of his era and the regard for him probably is enough to rate him as an ATG of the game. Obviously all personal opinion.

Barry Richards says it well on Bradman. He was twice as good as anyone of his era. You haven't seen that since so it's probably a good measure. So I take that for his era & how he was judged and revered.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I listen to his contemporaries and the greats before him & those knowledgeable about the game of his era and the regard for him probably is enough to rate him as an ATG of the game. Obviously all personal opinion.

Barry Richards says it well on Bradman. He was twice as good as anyone of his era. You haven't seen that since so it's probably a good measure. So I take that for his era & how he was judged and revered.
It's a hard luck story which we'll never get the final conclusion on.

The guys like Viv, Gavaskar, Chappell who actually got it done at the highest level from that era are rightly more revered, and considered the real Test ATGs, unlike Richards, who gets a few votes and mentions from the apartheid SA era cricket anoraks in the crowd.

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
As someone who has followed cricket since the 1960s i have seen some of the best ever,
Barry Richards was a great player, he would have been a great test player given the chance,
his performances in Kerry Packers World Series Cricket were excellent, the cricket world missed out on seeing the best of Barry. along with Graeme Pollock and Mike Proctor. all 3 would have had stella test careers,

mr_mister

Well on the one hand, why would you say their Richards' and Cook's FC records are similar? Isn't Barry's just markedly better both for average and longevity?

Secondly, I do think there is way too much stock put in Barry's excellent record in way too small a sample size of Tests. Cook, unfortunately did not deliver in the same way.

But neither can be considered Test ATG's obviously. It would be farcical to even consider. Might as well throw Ganteaume as the GOAT WK batsman as well, while we're at it.
You're telling me you don't think 80 centuries at 54 and 61 centuries at 50 are similar records?

The average gap especially is basically the difference between Sobers and Sachin/Lara/pick your poison

I'm not saying we can't say Richards is better, but one is considered by many to be one of the top 5 openers ever and nailed on for South Africa's ATG XI opening spot, one makes SA's D/E XI

And I'm just saying that is interesting

Edit - I should point out plenty of people wouldn't have Richards in the SA ATG XI opening batsman spot due to the lack of tests, but he did get enough votes to come 6th in my greatest openers ever countdown(only behind the big 4 and Boycott), a list Jimmy Cook didn't get enough votes to even make (and it was a top 40 iirc)

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
You're telling me you don't think 80 centuries at 54 and 61 centuries at 50 are similar records?

The average gap especially is basically the difference between Sobers and Sachin/Lara/pick your poison

I'm not saying we can't say Richards is better, but one is considered by many to be one of the top 5 openers ever and nailed on for South Africa's ATG XI opening spot, one makes SA's D/E XI

And I'm just saying that is interesting

Edit - I should point out plenty of people wouldn't have Richards in the SA ATG XI opening batsman spot due to the lack of tests, but he did get enough votes to come 6th in my greatest openers ever countdown(only behind the big 4 and Boycott), a list Jimmy Cook didn't get enough votes to even make (and it was a top 40 iirc)
Well obviously this just means that the latter are overrated hacks.

YES THIS POST IS IN JEST

mr_mister

I knew it was in jest :laugh:

Sorry if my post gave argumentive vibes. Just enjoy to discuss things in great detail!