• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How strong is Australia's Second ATG XI?

subshakerz

International Coach
It is pretty much taken for granted that Australia have the best country ATG XI. It usually goes something like this:

Hayden
Simpson/Morris
Bradman
Ponting
Smith
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
O'Reilly
Lillee
McGrath

However, I realized that still leaves so much bench strength to form a second XI, with the likes of Border, Chappell, Lindwall left. What would a second Australia XI look like and which Country XI's could they beat?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this the same simulation in which random FC bullies from the 90s are better than Graeme Thorpe?
Don't get mad at reality

And you don't have to exaggerate/invent things to perpetuate a narrative, be better than that

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I am thinking:

Simpson
Langer
G. Chappell
Border
S. Waugh
Benaud or I. Chappell - c
Healy - w
Davidson
Lindwall
Cummins
Grimmet

A very strong XI. I don't think Jedi is far off.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A team that looks something like:

Morris/Simpson
Lawry
I.Chappell
G.Chappell
Border
S.Waugh
R.Marsh/Tallon
Davidson
Lindwall
Cummins
Grimmett

looks strong enough to match or better most country's ATG 1st XI other than (as TheJediBrah suggests) England, West INdies and possibly SA.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am thinking:

Simpson
Langer
G. Chappell
Border
S. Waugh
Benaud or I. Chappell - c
Healy - w
Davidson
Lindwall
Cummins
Grimmet

A very strong XI. I don't think Jedi is far off.
It's clearly better than Pakistan, New Zealand & Ban/Zim

Should beat India more often than not

South Africa is a tricky one, could go either way

Gob

International Coach
Second xi also changes from person to person

My first would be

Hayden
Morris
Bradman
Chappell
Smith
Border
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lillee
Mcgrath

So the seconds goes

Langer
Lawry
Ponting
Harvey
Clarke
Waugh
Healy
Davidson
Cummins
Lindwall
O'Reilly

Gob

International Coach
Ftr it's very difficult to evaluate how England AT side go if they actually play another AT side. They have truly great players like Hobbs and Barnes but at the same time, a pace attack that would likely be thrown up by WI, Aus or SA would be totally new experience for them

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is pretty much taken for granted that Australia have the best country ATG XI. It usually goes something like this:

Hayden
Simpson/Morris
Bradman
Ponting
Smith
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
O'Reilly
Lillee
McGrath

However, I realized that still leaves so much bench strength to form a second XI, with the likes of Border, Chappell, Lindwall left. What would a second Australia XI look like and which Country XI's could they beat?
I really hate this eleven lol, it's almost like you've deliberately tried to trigger me by going the wrong way on every possible contentious call.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with most of your side.

Trumper
Lawry
Harvey
G. Chappell
Border (c)
Waugh
Healy (wk)
Davidson
Lindwall
Spofforth
Grimmett

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wait till Fuller Pilch sees this
I agree. Ignoring Clarrie Grimmett, Williamson (for Harvey) and Watling (for Healy) are the only NZers who'd make an Aussie 2nd XI. However, if the top Australian side went Bradman-G Chappell at 3/4, Williamson would be behind Ponting at no 3, although Crowe would possibly make the side at 4 (50/50 with McCabe).

Last edited: