• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Illot vs Abey Kuruvilla

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Ilott made his debut in the same Test as Thorpe and McCague in the great 1993 Ashes series.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You are surely taking the piss now.

But Ilott was definitely better.

Single L, double T btw. I think his son was in the Middlesex 2nd XI at one stage.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Never understood why Kuruvilla played just 10 tests it's not like he was competing with some great pacers I thought he was perfectly acceptable cricketer similar to Prasad who played much more.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kuruvilla apparently was given chance to play for India a little too late. He was already past his peak when he debuted.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kuruvilla apparently was given chance to play for India a little too late. He was already past his peak when he debuted.
He played all his matches when he was 29. Certainly not young but not that old. Retired only three years later though. I don't imagine bowling on the Indian domestic pitches of the time was exactly a career-extender for any pace bowler.

A tad surprising considering his decent record and physical attributes that he wasn't given a go earlier. Cricinfo claims he was considered a prospect in 1992. Guessing they were content with Srinath and Prasad, and most of the guys he was competing with had fairly similar records.

How the hell Johnson got a go first though. That's a mystery.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He played all his matches when he was 29. Certainly not young but not that old. Retired only three years later though. I don't imagine bowling on the Indian domestic pitches of the time was exactly a career-extender for any pace bowler.

A tad surprising considering his decent record and physical attributes that he wasn't given a go earlier. Cricinfo claims he was considered a prospect in 1992. Guessing they were content with Srinath and Prasad, and most of the guys he was competing with had fairly similar records.

How the hell Johnson got a go first though. That's a mystery.
They had a recency bias and I think he had a very good Ranji Trophy final or something.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There was Srinath and there was a certain Subroto Banerjee who played for India in 1992. Prasad came along little later.