• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd greatest cricketer pre-bradman era?

3rd greatest cricketer pre-bradman era?

• Total voters

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
W.g grace and hobbs are accepted by most as the top 2.But who does CW think was the 3rd greatest cricketer pre-bradman era?

a massive zebra

International Captain
George Lohmann should be an option. He's barely a worse bowler than Barnes, plus the best slip fielder of his generation and a capable batsman.

Also if you're going to include guys like Monty Noble and Herbie Taylor, Ranji should definitely be an option too.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barnes for me. First great bowler to play in an era where there were test batsmen actually performing consistently (Trumper, hill, etc) and still has that 19th century style awesome bowling record. Makes me think he had less help from the pitches than Lohmann

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barnes for me. First great bowler to play in an era where there were test batsmen actually performing consistently (Trumper, hill, etc) and still has that 19th century style awesome bowling record. Makes me think he had less help from the pitches than Lohmann
Matting wickets in SA were probably just as helpful but pitches did improve by a lot in England and Australia was fairly high scoring in that decade. Noble, Trumper, Armstrong and Hill all averaged 50+ in Shield I think. Barnes definitely faced a much higher quality of batting.

Also, things get more and more murky the further back we go. If Mynn is there, Fuller Pilch should be too..

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Matting wickets in SA were probably just as helpful but pitches did improve by a lot in England and Australia was fairly high scoring in that decade. Noble, Trumper, Armstrong and Hill all averaged 50+ in Shield I think. Barnes definitely faced a much higher quality of batting.

Also, things get more and more murky the further back we go. If Mynn is there, Fuller Pilch should be too..
Mynn was probably ahead of pilch.Before W.G came Mynn was regarded the greatest cricketer and pilch the greatest batsman.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Spofforth certainly has bigger reputation than others.But lohmann,Ferris,turner ,Briggs have better stats.
Wally Hammond considered Spofforth to be the greatest.He had Spofforth so high.
Yeah agreed - Spofforth's stats were excellent but there were several others better. What seems to set Spofforth apart (similar to WG, though not quite to the same level of course) was his sheer status within the game. He was virtually unchallenged as the greatest figure in early Australian cricket, and his impact on the international game in its formative years was enormous.

On a side note regarding stats, I always feel that for 19th century players, particularly bowlers, they almost need to be split into two groups - those who got to play South Africa and those who didn't - such was the statistical boost that a lolstats match (e.g. Johnny Briggs 15/28!) or series against South Africa could provide.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Got to go for Trumper who batted brilliantly in the age of poor wickets. The average of less than 40 does not look great now but was very useful back then.