• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

30 Test hundreds

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Root is almost a given, Kane is likely, Virat needs a big turn around, and Warner won’t last long enough surely. Marnus is the next obvious candidate, who else looks promising for making this milestone in the future?
The problem is that I fear that there's gonna be far fewer Tests from here on in. At a minimum everyone not from a Big 3 nation is going to have to be absolutely exceptional to get there.

Brook might be a shot as he already has 3 and looks elite but will need time. Babar might've done it 10-20 years ago, but as trundler hinted I'm not sure he'll play enough Tests.

Daemon

Brook won’t get there

Babar and Labu pretty much the only ones from the post fab four era that have a good shot at it

TheJediBrah

The level to which Brook is being overrated right now is insane. I'd pick Travis Head ahead of him and I ****ing hate Travis Head

Slifer

International Captain
If we are comparing players who have made 30 Test centuries, Steve Smith is the best in terms of Tests played per century made.

S.Smith 3.1
M.Hayden 3.4
Younis Khan 3.5
K.Sangakara 3.5
J.Kallis 3.7
S.Gavaskar 3.7
S.Tendulkar 3.9
B.Lara 3.9
R.Ponting 4.1
M.Jayawardene 4.4
R.Dravid 4.6
A.Cook 4.9
S.Waugh 5.3
S.Chanderpaul 5.4

These fade into insignificance alongside Bradman (a century every 1.8 Tests)

Other greats from the past, having fewer opportunities (certainly against minnows) include:
G.Headley 2.2
C.Walcott 2.9
E.Weekes 3.2
H.Sutcliffe 3.4
G.Sobers 3.8
N.Harvey 3.8
W.Hammond 3.9
J.Hobbs 4.1
K.Barrington 4.1
W.Ponsford 4.1
L.Hutton 4.2
V.Trumper 6.0
Ranjitsinhji 7.5
W.G.Grace 11.0
For those who have 30+ 100s it'd be more interesting to see how many tests (better yet innings) it took to get there. I believe Sachin has the record in terms of innings.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
For those who have 30+ 100s it'd be more interesting to see how many tests (better yet innings) it took to get there. I believe Sachin has the record in terms of innings.
List here with their averages at the time for good measure

Tendulkar 159 (57.99)
Smith 162 (60.89)
Hayden 167 (53.51)
Ponting 170 (58.14)
Gavaskar 174 (52.46)
Younis 180 (54.07)
Sangakkara 186 (56.50)
Kallis 200 (57.73)
Lara 205 (54.36)
Jayawardene 214 (51.07)
Cook 245 (47.12)
Waugh 247 (49.65)
Dravid 250 (50.68)
Chanderpaul 269 (53.10)

Mike5181

International Captain
I think we had only played 8 test matches in the 18 months before that post, a series against Bangladesh had been postponed in March, and I said Williamson would be lucky to play 50 test matches. That was probably where I was coming from with that.

Looking through my old posts I initially thought back in 2011 he was a mid-high 40s player, then around late 2013- mid 2014 I thought he'd start realising his talent and upgraded him to a 50 average test bat. He was averaging 36ish at the time.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathews is there with 107 tests but only 16 centuries. Averages 46 still. The poor fitness had effected him playing long innings. He is almost finished and 20 will be the most he will end up with.

Chandimal had made 15 centuries in 76 test matches. He most likely will end up between 20-25

Ali TT

International Debutant
How's Adrian Barath getting on?

Looking at the OP I was a bit surprised to see a couple of players who'd not made the 30 club.