• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there any way to remove the minnow matches from the aggregate records? I think this WC was higher scoring overall compared to previous ones.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Great find.

Is there any way to remove the minnow matches from the aggregate records? I think this WC was higher scoring overall compared to previous ones.
Here you go, top-8 sides only. Though IIRC the top 8 sides were slightly different in 2007...

Not much difference anyway. 1996 and 1987 still have the highest averages.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That only excludes minnow-v-minnow, though, and still includes, say, Australia v Canada.

I've had a play, too, and I can't figure out a way to exclude the latter.

vcs

Great find.

Here you go, top-8 sides only. Though IIRC the top 8 sides were slightly different in 2007...

Not much difference anyway. 1996 and 1987 still have the highest averages.
No, I tried that, but it doesn't work (not for the purpose I intended anyway). Will still include games like Kenya vs. NZ, Kenya vs. SL etc. I want a filter that only includes matches involving any two members of the top 10 teams (India, SL, Pakistan, NZ, Australia, SA, England, WI, Bangladesh and Ireland).

EDIT : Or what Pickup said.

EDIT EDIT : Wondering whether Bangladesh should be included, they have a couple of horrific batting performances in there. Bangladesh vs. WI and Bangladesh vs. SA must be bringing that average down a fair bit.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
No, I tried that, but it doesn't work (not for the purpose I intended anyway). Will still include games like Kenya vs. NZ, Kenya vs. SL etc. I want a filter that only includes matches involving any two members of the top 10 teams (India, SL, Pakistan, NZ, Australia, SA, England, WI, Bangladesh and Ireland).

EDIT : Or what Pickup said.
Ah, I see.

EDIT EDIT : Wondering whether Bangladesh should be included, they have a couple of horrific batting performances in there. Bangladesh vs. WI and Bangladesh vs. SA must be bringing that average down a fair bit.
If you exclude Bangladesh from this year, remember to exclude India from last time. :p

vcs

OK, having had another look at that original filter Pickup posted, you can see a pretty marked increase in the RR. Though the average runs/wicket doesn't change much from previous WCs (in fact it goes down compared to '87 and '96, something that I found pretty surprising at first glance), the increased RR shows that teams are scoring more runs at a faster rate than ever before (better bats, Power Plays). There must have been quite a few 230/5 or 245/6 type 1st innings scores in those previous editions, which simply don't happen anymore.

Bun

Banned
Good spot Neil and good work Athlai and others. Easily debunks the popular theory that you can bat blindfold in the subcontinent and get away with it.