• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2026 World Cup

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good news, apparently FIFA are considering having 12 groups of 4 instead of 16 of 3 next time out. Would presumably mean the same format as 86/90/94, and the Euros, just doubled. Teams in 3rd going through is a bit meh but infinitely preferable to groups of 3.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not really learning the right lesson from this year's group stage being good, which is the jeopardy. Playing 72 group matches just to eliminate the sides that wouldn't have qualified for most editions is still quite rubbish.

The answer, if you want an expanded world cup, is to have 12 groups of 4, have the group winners qualify direct for the last 16, and then have the next best 8 sides require a playoff to make it. But that has some of the best teams with the most fans play fewer games, so it's not as much of an earner.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not really learning the right lesson from this year's group stage being good, which is the jeopardy. Playing 72 group matches just to eliminate the sides that wouldn't have qualified for most editions is still quite rubbish.

The answer, if you want an expanded world cup, is to have 12 groups of 4, have the group winners qualify direct for the last 16, and then have the next best 8 sides require a playoff to make it. But that has some of the best teams with the most fans play fewer games, so it's not as much of an earner.
I agree broadly but I think we can assume inter-tournament play-offs are permanently off the table so once they landed on 48 this was the best option.

I'd challenge the bolded slightly; obviously different sides would make it through than would necessarily qualify if it's 32 teams, additionally the group stage isn't just about elimination given it sets the draw for the rest of the tournament which can have some fairly big consequences. The presence of third placed sides in the knockouts arguably makes this even more pertinent, though historically I remember Argentina finishing 3rd then making the final and indeed Portugal finishing third in their Euro 2016 group and going on to win. So maybe not.

Either way the important thing is, Scotland still won't get out of the group stage.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see we have a thread for the next World Cup but nobody has bothered starting one for the last two fixtures of this one. :santa: