• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2007 has been pretty good for England ODI side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I have actually, but TBH it sounded to me like Geg was saying "he's done more with his year than you have".

Either way - I explained pretty well what I'd been watching really - I watched him make just about every single one of those aforementioned scores.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah he's looked poor for a while now in both forms. He sort of has a couple of good knocks that everyone starts raving about him like Adelaide and the CB finals and then does stuff all for the next 10 games, especially at times when the side needs him the most. Certainly not a crunch player for mine and seems to get out at the worst possible times of matches these days, well that's the perception I get anyways. Shouldn't be a certainty on the English teamsheet (although the waiting list doesn't look too crash hot).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He's clearly better than England's fourth batting option, Shah.

The batting options being the middle order, with Pietersen>Bell>>Collingwood>>>>>Shah.

There's noone really bashing the door down, and noone putting Collingwood under pressure. Face it, he's been England's third best batsman in ODI's this year. He's inconsistent, yes. But when he's on fire he can really make a difference, as he's shown. Wouldn't you rather have a guy play like Collingwood has this year than someone who has played like, I dunno, Prior?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where have I ever said there are hundreds of better options?

There's only one person up and down the country I'd rate as better at ODI batting (not neccessarily Bell at all, he's almost as bad - tends to score a bit more consistently, but only a bit, and has to date only had 1 really impressive series) who's not in the side, that being Usman Afzaal, who barely played any one-day cricket last season, so he hardly has a compelling case to be in the side.

Beyond a doubt he's better than Shah and Prior.

All I've ever argued is that while Collingwood is one of England's better ODI batsmen, we're unlikely to have that strong a batting side, because he's really not all that good. Something some seem to dispute - I've even heard one or two compare him to the Hicks and Fairbrothers, which is such arrant nonsense it beggars belief.