• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 overs match

Meg

Cricket Spectator
Ja, so now 20/20 (or Pro20 as they call it here) is under way in SAand I haven't been able to see much but I caught some highlights and found the the jumping umpire a bit of a joke. I'm surprised they can concentrate on giving out when they hop around all the time! :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meg said:
Ja, so now 20/20 (or Pro20 as they call it here) is under way in SAand I haven't been able to see much but I caught some highlights and found the the jumping umpire a bit of a joke. I'm surprised they can concentrate on giving out when they hop around all the time! :laugh:
What?

Billy Bowden has to officiate at ALL the matches?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
Hehe, well to be honest, I dont know what is going off out there... Gauteng and the Highveld Strikers have always been the same team in my book (like Kent and Kent Spitfires)...

Im not sure where the Highveld Strikers come into the equation.. I know that when there is a franchise called "Northern Gauteng" and another one from Easterns and Northerns... (I think lol)... Maybe "Highveld Strikers" is the fancy name for one of these franchises...

Anyway we will see what happens... Im sure all will become clearer eventually....

What is most sad is to see a number of FC cricketers only playing in an amateur competition, and the loss of FC cricket at Kimberley...
True, it's sad that some players won't be able to play anymore, you have to figure overall the restructuring's fantastic for the long-term viability of cricket in South Africa. Having more teams with less money to go around isn't that fun and will quickly lead to bankruptcies and general trouble. Consolidating teams means more money for each team as well as a generally higher level of play as only the cream of the crop will get picked, which should in turn lead to better players being sent out to the national side.

Meg

Cricket Spectator
I Totally agree with "Lions". It's just going to push up SA's cricket standards and it will force all players to try harder and there will be more competition and hard work. Those that have been dropped will now be pushed to excel more and those that make the new sides will work to keep up with the stronger talent and not to be dropped.

Meg

Cricket Spectator
Langeveldt said:
Please enlighten us on this jumping umpire...
I'm not to sure myself, but in the 20 overs game, the umpire doesn't just stand still sternly and lift up his hands to signal something, he literally jumps up and runs around to show a 6 or something! Sorry, it's nothing big, I just find it hilarious :blink:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Meg said:
I'm not to sure myself, but in the 20 overs game, the umpire doesn't just stand still sternly and lift up his hands to signal something, he literally jumps up and runs around to show a 6 or something! Sorry, it's nothing big, I just find it hilarious :blink:
It probably is Billy Bowden, I wouldn't be surprised. He's famous for his exaggerated signals. A joy to watch, too! He's actually a really good umpire to boot, but they won't let him umpire test matches unless he cools it down a little... which I suppose is fair enough.

Again, can someone tell me what TV channels 20 over cricket can be seen on in the UK?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
but they won't let him umpire test matches unless he cools it down a little... which I suppose is fair enough.

Again, can someone tell me what TV channels 20 over cricket can be seen on in the UK?

You what? Theyve stopped him umpiring tests?? Madness....

20/20 cricket is available on BSKYB, £30 a month and the channel is Sky Sports 1 i think....

How long have you been in the UK mate?? You had better get used to the appaling exposure cricket gets on TV here, because a lot of it is nonexistant... (and they call this place the home of cricket :laugh: )

Loony BoB

International Captain
Two years and a week or so. I guess I need to start saving an extra £20 a month for the four Sky Sport channels... I miss watching the Super 12, NRL and WWE too. :(