• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meta thread: The Sequel

Furball

Evil Scotsman
With the demise of the galahs, I'll just add what I was in the middle of posting when the thread got locked.

Going to chuck in my two cents here:

More seriously, though - I'm hearing from a few posters say that publicly visible infraction notices (i.e. a red card in the bottom-left corner of a post) would be useful. What do people think?
I've always argued for this. You guys don't have the time to respond to reports and quite rightly don't do so, however seeing a red or yellow card publicly showing on a post that you've reported gives an indication that your report has been acknowledged and action has been taken as a result. It also might stop useless reports where someone stumbles upon a **** post after it's been dealt with. It's bad enough when you're busy and your email notifications go crazy, it's probably even more annoying when the report is something you've dealt with.

I also don't agree with Cribb's objections to infractions being public. When you have 2 people/groups having stupid, childish feuds (see sledger/GIMH/myself vs benchmark00), one of the things that really doesn't help the situation is not know if and how the other party is being dealt with. There was one occasion, during a BOTM IIRC, where it was obvious that the other side was being dealt with because myself and benchy were both banned at the same time. When it's dumb feuding, you guys have better things to do than nanny and baby someone acting like a **** and demanding "what about him, is he being punished?" Seeing yellow and red cards answers those questions. It also makes your decisions more open, because people can see exactly what is and isn't acceptable. If it leads to questions around consistency, then the solution is to be more consistent. And hell, if it comes to it, implement the CricSim style "because I ****ing said so" policy when it comes to discussing decisions. I've always appreciated the fact that we can air our grievances about the forum, moderating and even to a certain extent other members fairly publically and openly and that you guys take the time to discuss and contribute to the threads. But you guys also have the power to shut down certain lines of discussion and you've always used it. If in your eyes, poster X deserved more than poster Y and poster X keeps having a moan, eventually just go the CricSim route of "because I ****ing said so, that's why" and shut it down. On forum at least, in the past you've never been shy of taking it to emails (and you can just ignore emails if you really cbf with the discussion.)

He was brought back on the condition that he cut out this style of posting, so people are naturally sensitive to that.
Is this policy actually going to be implemented any time in the future? I mean, I've got the bloke on ignore, have had him there for years, but I had the misfortune of being in a thread where he was contributing recently and as a result of people quoting him could read the drivel he was posting for myself. And he still seems to be the same annoying **** **** that got perma'd. Given that I don't interact with him much across the forum I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that that thread was a one off, but from reading other people's complaints about him it doesn't seem to be the case.

Speaking of ignore lists, a word of advice for Flem if he's reading this: pull your head in, chill out for the week, ride your horse and sing to your rocks and then when you come back slap WW, Blocky and whoever else is boiling your piss onto your ignore list. Ironically, you're reaching Furball/GIMH in summer 2011 levels of dire. I truly get why you're carrying on the way you are, most people here will share the same frustrations you do but you're not helping the situation at all.

Turning to the Blocky shaped elephant in the room, it's actually really surprised me how wound up the NZ crew have been about the state of CW in the last few weeks. Because as a posting group, they're the best blokes on the forum by a long, long way. I don't have any specific insight into anything that's gone on recently, because one of the sad things about moving through your 20s is that I have less time to follow cricket than I did 4/5 years ago. So I generally won't keep up to speed with things the way I used to; I'll still follow England quite closely and generally keep an eye on Australia but sadly I don't really cross paths with many of the Kiwi blokes in CC because our cricketing paths won't cross much any more. Which is a shame; you guys have ensured that I'll always want New Zealand to do well and as a Scot I get the whole underdog thing (hopefully that last sentence hasn't come across as too patronising). I loved absorbing you guys' views on the game, I enjoyed watching out for someone like Kane Williamson because a few of you guys rated him really, really highly. I digress, the point I'm trying to make is that as a group of posters the NZ blokes are one of the gems of this forum and to see them getting so wound up over CW recently should be alarming anyone who values this forum and the community that's sprung up around it.

As a result of not interacting much with New Zealand cricket, I haven't crossed paths with Blocky much. However, just reading through this thread, it needs to be said; the bloke is an absolute **** ****. The fact that he's pissing off the rest of the NZ boys is testament enough to how dire he is but **** me his posts in this thread have been ****ing horrid. I've seen enough of him to slap him on the ignore list, which is a venerable who's who of CW's biggest **** ****s. There's absolutely no place on CW for someone who so openly wants to change the culture of the forum and is quite happy to **** all over the forum atmosphere the way Blocky wants to.

Going back to a previous point, of course, the forum would probably be a calmer place if everyone were to follow this lead and just slap Blocky on ignore. That's not the solution though. On a forum, people are always going to clash, but asking a massive group of people to all put the same person on ignore solves nothing. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

If any of this merits an infraction then I apologise, but it needed to be said.