• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advertising on the Forums

James

Cricket Web Owner
We've been discussing Ad Placement across the forum the past few weeks and coming up with various scenarios that we wanted to discuss amongst everyone to get some general feedback.

We've always tried to keep ads to be a minimum on the site to not detract from the viewing experience and feel that we've done that well over the past 10 years. Of course advertising is necessary to cover the many costs that involve keeping the site running which I think most people understand and appreciate.

What do you think about placement of the current ads?

I've had discussions with our Google contacts who suggested implementing something similiar to Rooney To Replace Scholes? - RedCafe.net. What are people's general feeling on that? Note the ad in the first post, the ad beside post reply, and the ad below the 5th post. Looks ok? Too in your face? If you don't like it, what don't you like about it, and what would you be prepared to live with?

Anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts? Just to say up front, we're not going to force anything on the community, but we are looking for constructive feedback on what is too much and what is acceptable.

biased indian

International Coach
The ad after the Fifth Post is ok...the one in the first post might give an impression that the same is being put by the person who made the post :) ...

Both are always good than the the one i have seen on couple of sites where a Ad pop up from the bottom of the window its a pain to clos eit all the time and also it hides the content in the post.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Too obnoxious IMO. Probably won't deter regulars but if I were new to the forum I'd be put off by something like that. I use adblock whenever possible though so whatever. I realise the ads have a purpose but I'm never going to click one except by accident.

James

Cricket Web Owner
The ad after the Fifth Post is ok...the one in the first post might give an impression that the same is being put by the person who made the post :) ...

Both are always good than the the one i have seen on couple of sites where a Ad pop up from the bottom of the window its a pain to clos eit all the time and also it hides the content in the post.
Thanks for the feedback.

Pop-ups of any kind drive me absolutely crazy. We've never had and never will have pop-ups :)

Can't see a single ad on that redcafe site for some reason.
I've taken some screen-shots:

http://www.files2net.com/files/32661402924053/ad1.jpg

http://www.files2net.com/files/60878546582574/ad2.jpg

http://www.files2net.com/files/86609441740451/ad3.jpg

cpr

International Coach
I dont like the one in the first post at all. Its far too in your face and distracting to the post your reading. It would actually drive me to using an ad block

The one after the 5th post is annoying, but over time I'd come to get used to it, though would probably scroll past without blinking.

At the bottom doesn't worry me, as I'm used to one at the bottom below 'post quick reply' now (and thats the only one I notice, even sometimes read now).

I personally find the ads work better on me outside the thread, eg at the top and bottom, as my eyes will wander to them before/after I've read the posts. One within the posts would be completely ignored, probably even hated, as its distracting me from what I'm trying to do.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, first up I'd definitely ban anyone who makes such spurious comparisons between Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney.

Second, I think border ads work better as per this (also United) site.

(Bizarrely, this link is NSFW as for some reason one of the ads is about ****ing kittens - god knows what they're advertising)

Brilliant ! Quaver in the microwave trick - RedIssue Forums

Quite a good thread btw :)

Here's another site that has advertising on the top and side borders - quite discreet I think - obvious enough for the advertisers but not too intrusive...

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - User menu

And another...

Aviation History and Nostalgia - PPRuNe Forums

Andre

International Regular
James,

I'd go for it mate.

It isn't too intrusive - it's not like it is half way through a sentence or a post. It's 2011, advertising is changing like everything else and you'll need the options to get the advertisers on board.

Plus, after 10 years you deserve to be able to pay the bills for the site :)

PS: I work in advertising so take it with a grain of salt if needs be :laugh:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hey mate - what is it with previous management of the site getting into advertising. That makes three of you now :p

Give us a buzz on MSN when you get the chance, would love to have a catch up :)

Andre

International Regular
Hey mate - what is it with previous management of the site getting into advertising. That makes three of you now :p

Give us a buzz on MSN when you get the chance, would love to have a catch up :)
Haha, well there isn't any work in journalism so advertising was the next choice :laugh:

Jayzamann

International Regular
The ads between posts are fine, as long as they are between the post separators. The ones on that site seem to be in the same box as the individual posts.

davidgdafter

Cricket Spectator
I don't see any problem with the suggestion of Advertisements at all. It is pretty commonplace now and as long as they aren't pop ups then I don't think it will spoil anyone's enjoyment of the forum.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Ads with sound really grinding my gears.
Apparently ads that play sound automatically are in fact against Google Adsense/Adwords policy.

If you experience it with any, screenshot it and send it through to me and I'll forward it onto the relevant people :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'll make sure I take a screencap next time it happens, but there have been numerous occasions since I've returned that ads have been playing sound automatically. Particularly the one for the Cricket Challenge flash game.