• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Censor stuff and moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I wrote in a post yesterday about the niqab and burqa being a symbol of ****al domination, and then I saw today that the word had been added to the filter.

Is it just me, or has the moderation been a bit OTT just of late? Sincerely, ****al is not a bad word. I understand that there has been an issue of authority between a group of posters and a new moderator, and I get the difficulties that presents, but ultimately, I feel that LoonyBob (and perhaps James) is perhaps overdoing it a tad.

This is not a comment on the bannings yesterday. Just the increased militancy as to how some of us are expressing ourselves where I don't believe there's a problem.

Yes, it's very possible that this thread will get hijacked, but I just wanted to make this point.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO ****** shouldn't be cencored, and I'll take it up with the moderating team.

The recent bannings are not something new, it's just that we have felt there has been too many recent abuses of the forum rules, which is why James added 3 new moderators. These people that have been banned have broken the rules and need to accept their fates.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The words added to the filter because of Chaulk were a joke, they were hardly bad. P00? Sheesh, what the hell are you supposed to say? "My waste" or something, wtf? Same with Will-y? FFS, I had a lecturer called Will-y, what if someone with that name joins and their freakin' name has been censored. Sure, it's a poor name, doesn't mean someone won't.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I certainly agree that the moderation has been over the top and getting worse. There's a fair list of words which are clearly not swearing that are hit by the forum censor now, including the abbreviation of Pakistani, the shortened form of ****ography, the one SL mentioned here and others. These are not only annoying, they also interfere with completely normal discussion in both CC and Off Topic, and there's no reason for them at all.

Five bannings of long-term members in one day is also a bit absurd, especially when you consider that most of them were based around reactions to other moderating decisions, particularly from Loony Bob, who has been jumping in to basically every thread I've seen and threatening people over nothing.

Basically, there needs to be middle ground between allowing people to discuss things and basically use the forum in a reasonable way and ensuring that spam and pointless abuse aren't out of control, and we're going the wrong direction right now, IMO.

PY

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Five bannings of long-term members in one day is also a bit absurd, especially when you consider that most of them were based around reactions to other moderating decisions, particularly from Loony Bob, who has been jumping in to basically every thread I've seen and threatening people over nothing.
Dan (& the others) has just been enforcing the rules which have been in place a long time but haven't been moderated stringently and it was felt things were getting out of control. Profanity is rife when it really doesn't need to be. Just because it gets starred out doesn't stop it from being in the post and detrimental to the forum atmosphere.

Each and every one of those warnings was in line with the forum rules and the people who got banned either spat the dummy big time or continued to flaunt it when they'd been asked to stop.

Just because it's Loony (who you guys seem to have a real beef with) and the fact that people have been allowed to get away with it without real punishment doesn't mean that the action taken was wrong.

And if you think any of the bannings were unfair then I'd like to see justifications.
FaaipDeOiad said:
Basically, there needs to be middle ground between allowing people to discuss things and basically use the forum in a reasonable way and ensuring that spam and pointless abuse aren't out of control, and we're going the wrong direction right now, IMO.
How was what those guys did yesterday discussing 'things' or using the forum in a reasonable way though?

I agree completely with the words you and SL have posted and the sentiments behind it, I wouldn't have any of those in the filter nor many other words that have a meaning that isn't offensive if used correctly (exception illegit child because it's used so much in an offensive fashion). It's being discussed as we speak.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
The swear word filter is a joke, most of the words in it are words which respectable newspapers wouldn't hesitate to print. Cbf posting a more detailed analysis as I've done so several times and have been ignored on each occasion.

PY

International Coach
Adamc said:
The swear word filter is a joke, most of the words in it are words which respectable newspapers wouldn't hesitate to print. Cbf posting a more detailed analysis as I've done so several times and have been ignored on each occasion.
Your concerns have been noticed Adam and there's ongoing discussion about the filter.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Profanity is rife when it really doesn't need to be. Just because it gets starred out doesn't stop it from being in the post and detrimental to the forum atmosphere.
The reason for profanity being censored would be the argument that it is a family forum for every body and that reason is understandable for me. However, regarding the point you raise -I don't see how profanity existing relates to detriment in forum atmosphere.

For instance, a profanity can be used in different ways by different people and may not necessarily mean abusing some one.

Personal insults is much more detrimental, regardless of whether profanity is used in them or not.

You are a weird tool
is much more detrimental to a forum atmosphere where some one doesn't stick to the arguements and starts insulting the person concerned than say I won a lottery, I am *insert profanity here* happy. In an ideal scenario, nothing would be censored and personal insults regardless of whether profanities have been used or not would be moderated but given CW is a family forum, profanities banned is ok.

Also, speaking of family forum, if that is intended to be carried out, please take in moderation of lude adult innuendoes and mature *** related talk more seriously like this and posts around this conversation. Such remarks are passed a lot in the forum and puts cricketweb very much on the adult forum category than family forum.

Just my thoughts..

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Pratyush said:
The reason for profanity being censored would be the argument that it is a family forum for every body and that reason is understandable for me. However, regarding the point you raise -I don't see how profanity existing relates to detriment in forum atmosphere.

For instance, a profanity can be used in different ways by different people and may not necessarily mean abusing some one.

Personal insults is much more detrimental, regardless of whether profanity is used in them or not.

You are a weird tool
is much more detrimental to a forum atmosphere where some one doesn't stick to the arguements and starts insulting the person concerned than say I won a lottery, I am *insert profanity here* happy. In an ideal scenario, nothing would be censored and personal insults regardless of whether profanities have been used or not would be moderated but given CW is a family forum, profanities banned is ok.

Also, speaking of family forum, if that is intended to be carried out, please take in moderation of lude adult innuendoes and mature *** related talk more seriously like this and posts around this conversation. Such remarks are passed a lot in the forum and puts cricketweb very much on the adult forum category than family forum.

Just my thoughts..
Fair points, all.

I guess it all comes down to interpretation doesn't it? I'm not sure I have a justifiable viewpoint on it but I was just trying to explain some of the thought processes behind some of the decisions being made.

Thus, I'm going to shut up because I'm making myself sound like a m*ron. :p :happy:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Dammit, every time I read the last word in the above post I think 'mormon'. Even when uncensored. Awful habit.

Anyway, I don't have much to do with the addition of words to filters, but as for the warnings being given out, if you can find a place where a warning was given and you felt it was not appropriate, by all means point it out to me, and I'll talk with the other mods and we'll collectively decide on whether it was appropriate or not.

I find it amusing that some people have been pointing every possible finger at me when I've actually been giving a couple of members warnings when others had suggested bans, but such things can't be helped when you can't see what's going on, I suppose. I'm happy to take the heat - I've been doing this job for six years before I got promoted here so it's nothing new.

I 100% agree with the fact that insults (personal in particular, although sweeping comments are also bad) are worse than profanity, but at the same time, there will obviously always be a few words that must be censored, if only for the sake of the Google Adsense T&C and James' discretion. I don't think any of us would wish the site lost a valuable source of income. However, as PY said, some words might be going a bit too far in some people's eyes and we are in discussion on the matter.

As for the date/cream comment, I thought of it as a food related post. Maybe I'm too naiive... :p

Discussing the emotional side-effects of a contraceptive don't seem to me to be anything wrong at all if they're discussed in a mature manner, but if the other mods disagree then I'll be happy to take that kind of discussion elsewhere without objection. For now I'll refrain from it anyway just to be on the safe side.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Loony BoB said:
As for the date/cream comment, I thought of it as a food related post. Maybe I'm too naiive...
The links I gave wasn't to blame w,x,y z people. Maybe I shouldn't have linked to specific posts.

Cheers. :)

Loony BoB

International Captain
I disagree in that regard, I believe he did. Slightly adjusting a word so that it is in all effect the same word said in a different accent (for lack of a better way of describing it).

EDIT: Replying to Langeveldt, there, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.