• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why short form of Pakistani gets censored

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there was some controversy a while back involving a forum member called **** IIRC. Someone can confirm whether I am correct or not.

PY

International Coach
I'm afraid in the UK (where a fair few members are from), it is used as a racial slur so it was decided a VERY long time that it would be censored out as are most racist phrases.

It's a question of culture IMO. Not sure what Burkes referring to but there's been periods where I haven't been active.

I'm sure James will enter into discussion about it if you feel strongly enough about it. :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
pasag said:
It is sometimes used as a racial slur as far as I know.
In UK.

This is a an internet forum with members from all parts of the world including Pakistan, it should not be considered a swear word over here.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
PY said:
It's a question of culture IMO. Not sure what Burkes referring to but there's been periods where I haven't been active.
Yeah, I'm probably speaking total crap. That just sort of clicked in my brain when I read the thread.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Xuhaib said:
In UK.

This is a an internet forum with members from all parts of the world including Pakistan, it should not be considered a swear word over here.
Yeah, I never ever thought of it being a derogatory term until I came to CW. How is a shortening of the country's title an insult? If it is, British insults leave alot to be desired.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
benchmark00 said:
Yeah, I never ever thought of it being a derogatory term until I came to CW. How is a shortening of the country's title an insult? If it is, British insults leave alot to be desired.

I've heard it used as an insult in Australia quite a few times. Just like Jap. Heard this debate plenty of times as well, and it usually never goes anywhere and is pretty boring actually...

Slow Love™

International Captain
There's little point looking at where racial slurs come from to work out why they're offensive. It's how they get used. "Nip" merely comes from a shortening of the word "Nippon", the Japanese term for Japan (it's obviously not censored here because it has other meanings in popular usage, which Pak* does not). "Ni99er" comes from the latin "niger", for "black", and originally "ni99er" wasn't even a derogatory term.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am sure majority of the forum member will not mind if the word Pa*i gets a legal status on this forum. I dont see anyone calling the other person Pa*i unless he is really a Pa*i:p

Matt79

Global Moderator
It will have to be closely policed if it is legalised. If people add perjoratives to it like 'stupid' or what have you, it does come across as pretty offensive, I would have thought. Also, it might offend some Pakistanis from UK or Australia, and while they might not be the majority, it would be a shame to lose anyone because of it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
I am sure majority of the forum member will not mind if the word Pa*i gets a legal status on this forum. I dont see anyone calling the other person Pa*i unless he is really a Pa*i:p
It's never really about majorities (in fact, distinctly the opposite). Plenty of black people use the word "ni99er" amongst themselves, but it's far from unusual that such a word would be censored at an internet forum. Obviously It's something that is more offensive to English people of Asian origin than Americans.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd be violently anti its use. In the UK it's used as a generic racial slur for anyone of South Asian (& probably Arab, as the people who use such insults rarely observe racial distinctions, only noting when folk aren't WASPs) origin.

Not too long ago we had the shameful occasion when the English football crowd was signing "I'd rather be a P-word than a Turk" when we played Turkey in a qualifying tournament. It's a word that is still very potent over here.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Its a disgrace that you guys call youself civilised when one of the more degrading abuse in your society is referred to a national of a certain independent country

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of a strange one when a Pakistani living in Pakistan (like Xuhaib) doesn't have a problem with it, yet Pakistanis in England might.

PY

International Coach
Xuhaib said:
Its a disgrace that you guys call youself civilised when one of the more degrading abuse in your society is referred to a national of a certain independent country
You don't have idiots in Pakistan then? Or you just wanting to label everyone in the UK uncivilised?

Yes it is weird that's the case but I doubt a few people on a cricket forum are going to be able to change British society for your sakes.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
LOL. Thanks.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Voltman said:
Bit of a strange one when a Pakistani living in Pakistan (like Xuhaib) doesn't have a problem with it, yet Pakistanis in England might.
I remember after the 92 WC everyone over here was wearing their "Proud ****" shirt.

Xuhaib

International Coach
PY said:
You don't have idiots in Pakistan then? Or you just wanting to label everyone in the UK uncivilised?

Yes it is weird that's the case but I doubt a few people on a cricket forum are going to be able to change British society for your sakes.
I dont want to change the British society what I want is that this word gets uncensored on this forum after all this forum consists many non-brit members aswell.