• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Yesterday, I was asked by Neil to remove my avatar - a picture of the cover of the *** Pistols album, Never Mind the ******** - one the grounds that it contains a naughty word. I duly removed said avatar because I'm a good little boy, but I'm ****ed off by it and would like to dispute it.
Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I can't see the ****ing problem with it. This word that is not used in an offensive way, or any coherent way at all. If you can make any sense out of the phrase never mind the ********, never mind finding it to make sense and be offensive, please tell me. This album is decent enough to be displayed and sold in high street shops, so why isn't it decent enough to be displayed on an internet forum? As far as I'm concerned, there are far worse avatars out there. Bryce got away with a pot-leaf avatar for a long time - at least that symbolises something! Brumby's new avatar has a bloke making a hand gesture. How is the cover of a popular album worse than those two?
This has really ****ed me off and seeing as not too many people share my point of view, I guess I'll **** off.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Is the "B" word considered really naughty in England? I thought it was in fairly general usage over there. Here in Australia you might see it in an opinion piece in a newspaper or magazine, though I don't think it's usage here is as common.

Certainly I would have thought that an album cover that anybody of any age who walks into HMV might see without restriction would be OK for this forum.

In short, I think steds has a point. Just IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say it's a second or third grade swear over here. Not one of the big 7, but I don't think I'd use it in polite company willy-nilly.

& my new avatar is the great Johnny Cash famously giving the camera the bird during his performance at San Quentin prison immortalised on his "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" album.

Just for the record. :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
steds said:
Yesterday, I was asked by Neil to remove my avatar - a picture of the cover of the *** Pistols album, Never Mind the ******** - one the grounds that it contains a naughty word. I duly removed said avatar because I'm a good little boy, but I'm ****ed off by it and would like to dispute it.
You can dispute all you like, but I would have made the same decision as Neil and I certainly back his decision.

Our forum is open to people of all ages and we market ourselves as a family forum. Would you start start swearing around an 11/12 year old for example? No, I don't think you would.

steds said:
Yesterday, I was asked by Neil to remove my avatar - a picture of the Forgive me if I'm out of line, but I can't see the ****ing problem with it. This word that is not used in an offensive way, or any coherent way at all. If you can make any sense out of the phrase never mind the ********, never mind finding it to make sense and be offensive, please tell me.
This is your final warning, before you will be banned. If you don't lose the complete disregard for the bad word filter, you will face a ban.

steds said:
This album is decent enough to be displayed and sold in high street shops, so why isn't it decent enough to be displayed on an internet forum? As far as I'm concerned, there are far worse avatars out there. Bryce got away with a pot-leaf avatar for a long time - at least that symbolises something! Brumby's new avatar has a bloke making a hand gesture. How is the cover of a popular album worse than those two?
This has really ****ed me off and seeing as not too many people share my point of view, I guess I'll **** off.
Brumby's avatar will be removed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would you start start swearing around an 11/12 year old for example?
If the word in question is the word I think it is, I wouldnt have a problem saying it in front of anyone of any age.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Prince EWS said:
If the word in question is the word I think it is, I wouldnt have a problem saying it in front of anyone of any age.
That's your opinion and you're fully entitled to that.

Its just a shame Steds didn't decide to bring up his point in a more adult manner....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, if he hadnt come in here swearing his head off, people might have actually been able to see his point.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Our forum is open to people of all ages and we market ourselves as a family forum. Would you start start swearing around an 11/12 year old for example? No, I don't think you would.
If I was talking about that album, yes. How am I supposed to talk about an album called "Never Mind The ******** Here's The *** Pistols" without mentioning the word ********?
"Never Mind The Naughty Word"?

James said:
This is your final warning, before you will be banned. If you don't lose the complete disregard for the bad word filter, you will face a ban.
Where have I disregarded the bad word filter? Have I bypassed it anywhere? No. It's there to block out the bad words. How is giving it bad words to block out disregarding it?

You might aswell ban me, anyway. There's no other way that this will go without me leaving and completely ignoring CW forever anyway.

James

Cricket Web Owner
steds said:
Where have I disregarded the bad word filter? Have I bypassed it anywhere? No. It's there to block out the bad words. How is giving it bad words to block out disregarding it?
You were warned yesterday for your swearing in one the official threads.

steds said:
You might aswell ban me, anyway. There's no other way that this will go without me leaving and completely ignoring CW forever anyway.
All seems like a major over-reaction on your part but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Is the "B" word considered really naughty in England? I thought it was in fairly general usage over there. Here in Australia you might see it in an opinion piece in a newspaper or magazine, though I don't think it's usage here is as common.

Certainly I would have thought that an album cover that anybody of any age who walks into HMV might see without restriction would be OK for this forum.

In short, I think steds has a point. Just IMO.
I must say, I agree. The world in question would fit well within a PG rating in a mainstream television timeslot, or a general article in a newspaper. A word like "crap", which I believe is acceptable here, would certainly offend far more people.

PY

International Coach
Interesting that is, 'crap' is used much much more by people here.

I would consider using crap in conversation with anyone (including my parents) in moderation but I would never use the word in question in a conversation with anyone including my mates who swear like troopers.

I guess I view it as bad language whereas crap I don't. Not sure why though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
That's odd. It's generally regarded as a fairly innocuous word here in Australia, but it seems to be perceived differently in the UK.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I'm guessing the word is ********. How is that offensive

EDIT: Guess it is...

James said:
Would you start start swearing around an 11/12 year old for example? No, I don't think you would.
What generation are you living in?

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
James said:
That's your opinion and you're fully entitled to that.

Its just a shame Steds didn't decide to bring up his point in a more adult manner....
Why isn't there more consistency with the enforcement of the bad word filter? Why doesn't Steds have a first filter warning in his title?

I've seen heaps of people bypass the filter like th*s in the last week or two. Why have not one of them been disciplined or been given a warning?

And James, if you think that an alternative word for defecating or an alternate word for urine is too bad to be used on this forum. Then why is an acronym like WTF or FFS permitted.. I wouldn't be using those words to an 11 year old..

Why not include these in the bad word filter?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is quite probable and does occur that 11-12 years swear. Children go through phases and then grow out of it. For some it comes earlier, for some it comes later. For some it doesnt.

Its abnormal to swear adults swear as far as I am concerned as it shows inability to express better.

But children swearing does not make it right for CW to allow swearing on its boards. :sleep:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Why isn't there more consistency with the enforcement of the bad word filter? Why doesn't Steds have a first filter warning in his title?

I've seen heaps of people bypass the filter like th*s in the last week or two. Why have not one of them been disciplined or been given a warning?

And James, if you think that an alternative word for defecating or an alternate word for urine is too bad to be used on this forum. Then why is an acronym like WTF or FFS permitted.. I wouldn't be using those words to an 11 year old..

Why not include these in the bad word filter?
The issue for me, would be kids LEARNING the swear words (not necceserily the view of Cricket Web, the BBC or any other large powerful corporation) on the site.

From usi*ng t*he filt*er like that they can.

From FFS, it's less likely.

Cheers.