• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand

Ming

State 12th Man
Tim said:
He's not a certainty, but i'd say he has a higher chance than the other incumbent James Marshall.
Even though it's ODs, he's been in very good touch so far Marshall.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They've also picked Rawl Lewis, a 31 year old legspinner with a disgraceful test record and a cricinfo bio that suggests he's even worse now than he was when he played. Completely mystifying selection, really...

Legspinner Rawl Lewis looks destined to go down in history as one of the most ineffective bowlers in Test history. In his three Tests for West Indies, he bowled 97.3 overs. Of those 585 balls, only one brought him a wicket, that of South Africa's wicketkeeper Mark Boucher, caught by Brian Lara at Johannesburg in 1998-99. That single strike has cost Lewis 318 runs, the highest average in all Test cricket, ahead of the figures of Roger Wijesuriya of Sri Lanka (294.00) and England's John Warr (281.00), who also took only one wicket apiece. For a time he captained the Windward Islands in the Red Stripe Bowl but rather than develop as a player as he got older, his form dropped away.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is this the 2nd consecutive ODI series Lara has been rested for, not including the Super Series?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
They've also picked Rawl Lewis, a 31 year old legspinner with a disgraceful test record and a cricinfo bio that suggests he's even worse now than he was when he played. Completely mystifying selection, really...

Legspinner Rawl Lewis looks destined to go down in history as one of the most ineffective bowlers in Test history. In his three Tests for West Indies, he bowled 97.3 overs. Of those 585 balls, only one brought him a wicket, that of South Africa's wicketkeeper Mark Boucher, caught by Brian Lara at Johannesburg in 1998-99. That single strike has cost Lewis 318 runs, the highest average in all Test cricket, ahead of the figures of Roger Wijesuriya of Sri Lanka (294.00) and England's John Warr (281.00), who also took only one wicket apiece. For a time he captained the Windward Islands in the Red Stripe Bowl but rather than develop as a player as he got older, his form dropped away.
It's a joke move, but I'm not laughing. I didn't think the West Indies selectors could get anymore idiotic than persisting with a man such as Adam Sanford for as long as they did, but they've gone and done it now. Not only is Lewis a substandard bowler, but he's 31. What does this say to Omari Banks and Dave Mohammed? "You guys have potential, but you're no Rawl Lewis. Sorry." Ridiculous.

If any New Zealand batsman gets out to Rawl Lewis in this series, he should be shot by Ashley Giles while being laughed at by an Australian who got out to Giles, brought back to life by Junaid Zia, and shot again by Darren Maddy.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Is it actually first of April? :-O

(Checks)

No. It must be for real... :laugh:

(Licks his lips)

Cairns should make a test comeback. He won't have to bowl much... :wacko:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's a joke move, but I'm not laughing. I didn't think the West Indies selectors could get anymore idiotic than persisting with a man such as Adam Sanford for as long as they did, but they've gone and done it now. Not only is Lewis a substandard bowler, but he's 31. What does this say to Omari Banks and Dave Mohammed? "You guys have potential, but you're no Rawl Lewis. Sorry." Ridiculous.

If any New Zealand batsman gets out to Rawl Lewis in this series, he should be shot by Ashley Giles while being laughed at by an Australian who got out to Giles, brought back to life by Junaid Zia, and shot again by Darren Maddy.
lol, also Samuels what has he done to be dropped he looked decent in Aus.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
Apparently Dwayne Smith is a better bet at the moment. I'm guessing it's because he bowls seam rather than spin. Both of them have been scoring quickly then throwing away their wicket in the Carib Cup, but Samuels actually looks a class batsman until he does it. Dwayne Smith generally gives catching and umpiring practice before he gets out.

I can't see how it's helping him if they keep rewarding his ridiculous batting strategy by picking him constantly. It just sends the message that he's not doing anything wrong.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
He's looked decent for a long time, without ever doing enough. Not that I know much about the back-up players, but - if he's cut out for Test cricket in the first place - a dropping him is hardly the worst thing they could do.

Oh, and at least Rawl Lewis was good in the first version of ICC...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I can't see how it's helping him if they keep rewarding his ridiculous batting strategy by picking him constantly. It just sends the message that he's not doing anything wrong.
couldn't have said it better myself.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
He's looked decent for a long time, without ever doing enough. Not that I know much about the back-up players, but - if he's cut out for Test cricket in the first place - a dropping him is hardly the worst thing they could do.

Oh, and at least Rawl Lewis was good in the first version of ICC...
well i've seen a lot of west indies over the past 2 years or so, n dwayne smith isn't cut out for test cricket at all in the middle-order he suits OD cricket perfectly. Samuels should have been retained i think n evern if the selectors didn't want samuels why relegate Hinds to the OD team alone?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It could be a stroke of genius to pick Rawl Lewis. NZ have a history of playing average spinners poorly.

_Ed_

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
It could be a stroke of genius to pick Rawl Lewis. NZ have a history of playing average spinners poorly.
I see your Rawl Lewis and raise you an Adam Huckle.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling we've seen the end of debutants for NZ until after the World Cup. I doubt they'll be wanting to bring anyone else in after Fulton & How unless there is an injury crisis.

My team for the 1st ODI would be:

How
Vincent
Fleming
Marshall
Styris
Cairns
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Bond

Supersub: Fulton

I kept Marshall in there because he's the better fielder than Fulton. I'd much prefer to see Fleming bat at #3, he's been batting there for Wellington so I wonder if the NZ selectors have told him to start batting at #3?