• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori v.s. Giles

Vettori or Giles?

• Total voters

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
From what I've been hearing some parts of the NZ media are calling for Fleming to be sacked as captain following the Australian series and to be replaced by Daniel Vettori. Not sure it would make any difference to the side personally.

On the Vettori/Giles comparision I agree they're probably pretty much on a par but over time Vettori will become a much better bowler than Giles ever was or ever with be IMO.

Vettori has been a loan hand in the NZ bowling attack for a while now while Giles has the support of Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard, etc around him. Makes a difference that I reckon.
8-) 8-) 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WTF?

This has to rate as one of the most bizarre digs of my time, and I agree 100% on the use of the 8-) emotiocon.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think you should have a look at:

Roll-eyes: Impact and effect on today's society. Hiemstra, R., & Brier, E. M. (1994).
Melbourne, FL: Krieger Publishing Company. 152pp., ISBN 0-89464-660-5
HAHAHA :lol:

That had me on the floor, particularly the use of the ISBN :lol:

pup11

International Coach
Vettori is a far better bowler, fielder and batsman than Giles on any given day and in any form of the game.

Giles is an not a overly talented bloke but still he is an effective player for England but nothing more than that, but on the other hand Vettori is a naturally talented and is very much capable of turning a game on its head.

Fiery

Banned
Vettori is a far better bowler, fielder and batsman than Giles on any given day and in any form of the game.

Giles is an not a overly talented bloke but still he is an effective player for England but nothing more than that, but on the other hand Vettori is a naturally talented and is very much capable of turning a game on its head.
Nice way to end the argument (and thread maybe) pup :thumbup1:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Panesar comparison is fair IMO (in Tests at least, and Panesar might end up being almost as good in ODIs too with experience), but Vettori's a fair bit better than Giles with the bat.

Fiery

Banned
The Panesar comparison is fair IMO (in Tests at least, and Panesar might end up being almost as good in ODIs too with experience), but Vettori's a fair bit better than Giles with the bat.
Disagree whole-heartedly Ed. Panesar is not yet worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Vettori as a bowler

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson's irrelevant to the line of questions at the moment.

Vettori has been a bowler who has gone through real dips and troughs throughout his career, and I think a lot of that can be put down to his action which doesn't seem to be all that consistent one game from the other. Only recently has he been able to keep everything in check game after game, and I see Vettori post '04 - '05 or so as a much different bowler to the one who preceeded him.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
As terribly overated as Shane Watson?
Haha, nah not really. Pretty much every person you'll ever meet in Australia hates Watson. There's been campaigns in the media for him to be dropped from the ODI side for Stuart Clark ffs. (that's the NSW media for ya though).

In any case, Jack's got more insights into his fellow Left armer than I do. I'll go with his post. He certainly has improved recently with his consistency.

Fiery said:
I know but dontcloseyoureyes doesn't mind me ribbing him about Watto...we get on like a house on fire

Last edited:

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No one has seemed to take into account:
1. Half of the matches Vettoris plays in are at home, and nz conditions are fairly unresponsive for him.
2. Vettori's workload is MASSIVE overseas, where the nz seamers cannot seem to bowl as well as they do at home. You often see him take 5 wickets in an innings in australia, sri lanka, etc, for about 140 runs, which makes an average average, even though his wicket-taking is keeping New Zealand in the game.