• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stedman rants of "dubious" captaincy

Young batsman James Stedman has slammed the captaincy of Sean Fuller, calling it "dubious" and claiming that it was solely responsible for the Webheads missing out on an historic unbeaten 'A' tour. Stedman complained with particular reference to the final match of the 5-game OD series, when Fuller elected to bat first in good conditions on a surface that assisted the spinners a bit.

Cricket Web 'A' went on to lose the match in the final over, ironically on the back of some poor fielding by Stedman himself. The Webheads won the series 3-1 after taking the "Tests" 3-0. These rants come at the end of a tour where Stedman was reported by the team manager, Evelyn Perkup, to be constantly dissatisfied with team management and accommodations. In addition, Stedman engaged in a heated row with West Indies pacer Tino Best.

No response as yet from Sean Fuller or the CWBCC. Asked to comment on the situation, Best laughed hysterically.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Stedman "threatened to put a plague on my house"
Pitch invader Johann vanden Borre told of the horror that he experienced when he took to the field at the end of the recent 'A' one dayer.

INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT

Claude Makelele: Welcome, Johann. So, it's been a hectic 24 hours for you?

Johann vanden Borre: Thank you, Claude. Yes, it's been one of the worst experiences of my life. True story.

CM: So, what happened, exactly?

JvB: Well, I'd just run onto the field after the 'A' game - you know, the one that CW 'A' lost because of Stedman's lousy fielding (and batting) - and I ran over to him. I said, 'Don't worry mate, we all make mistakes. Just yours are colossal and show a frightening ineptitude.'

CM: As you do. Go on.

JvB: He then swiped at me and said, 'Don't ****ing talk to me!! Do you have any ****ing idea who I am?? I invented the piano key necktie!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! NOTHING!'

CM: Wow, that's pure venom.

JvB: He then continued ranting, and said that if he ever saw me again, he'd put 'a plague on both your houses'. Needless to say, I was very shook up.

The beleaguered CW Red batsman has been in the media spotlight recently in the wake of his criticism of CW 'A' captain, Sean Fuller. It's believed a combination of stress, marital problems and weak biceps have contributed to his recent mental deterioration.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Robertinho said:
Stedman "threatened to put a plague on my house"
'Don't ****ing talk to me!! Do you have any ****ing idea who I am?? I invented the piano key necktie!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! NOTHING!'
I just don't think that achievement gets the recognition it deserves. And honestly, who hasn't wanted to put a plague on Johann's house?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Watt is chucker!" says Graeme Smith
The South African captain speaks out

[Reuters] South African captain Graeme Smith has come out questioning the legitimacy of Dave Watt's bowling action. Smith was quoted in The Herald as saying, "From where I'm standing, it's pretty blatant and unapologetic."

Watt captured 3 wickets in the Cricket Web XI's Champions Trophy final defeat at the hands of South Africa. Smith was among Watt's victims, caught at backward point to the second ball he faced. Now he wants justice, claiming that the bowler should be investigated for chucking. He claims that "something is not quite right at the point of delivery".

"In the interest of the game of cricket, I think they should have a look at it. It seems to me that the lad is getting away with a lot more than he should be," said Smith, "It's really in his interests to fix this. I'm just looking out for Watty."

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
"Watt is chucker!" says Graeme Smith
The South African captain speaks out

[Reuters] South African captain Graeme Smith has come out questioning the legitimacy of Dave Watt's bowling action. Smith was quoted in The Herald as saying, "From where I'm standing, it's pretty blatant and unapologetic."

Watt captured 3 wickets in the Cricket Web XI's Champions Trophy final defeat at the hands of South Africa. Smith was among Watt's victims, caught at backward point to the second ball he faced. Now he wants justice, claiming that the bowler should be investigated for chucking. He claims that "something is not quite right at the point of delivery".

"In the interest of the game of cricket, I think they should have a look at it. It seems to me that the lad is getting away with a lot more than he should be," said Smith, "It's really in his interests to fix this. I'm just looking out for Watty."
well thats not rocket science.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pickup slams Aussie/SA skippers
CW firebrand responds to team criticisim

[Chelmsford]

The CricketWeb leg-spinner Neil Pickup launched an astonishing broadside against Graeme Smith and Ricky Ponting in an interview on English television this week.

Speaking following a disappointing showing for his county side, Essex, Pickup was asked of his opinions following Ponting and Smith's criticism of his International team mates in the press, and the CW Black captain was, as ever, not one to mince his words.

"A bit of banter's fine, there's nothing better than a good laugh with the players, whatever level you're playing at," Pickup began, mentioning an incident where he had been "sledged" by a local ten year old following a dropped catch in practice. "But for Ponting to come out with the line about sub fielders is beyond low. Is it not enough for him to fail to defend 270? Has he still not got over the Ashes - or his own convenient choice of fielders against the West Indies and South Africa?"

"It's pathetic that such a great batsman should be such a horrifically poor loser. One would think that the solution to avoiding further defeats such as this would be a bit of introspection, perhaps looking where you went wrong yourself? But no, it's always someone else's fault."

South African captain Graeme Smith was on the receiving end of even more stinging criticism. "At least Ponting is whining because he lost. The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. For Graeme to come out with that rubbish about Dave, when is own side is responsible for Johan Botha's International career, is akin to being lectured by a Korean about dog welfare. Or by Australian about the spirit of the game, come to think of it."

"If you're not going to play it in the right way, fine. But don't expect others do to what's the most helpful to your team's efforts. If you want to take liberties, we'll take them back. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. And no, that's not got anything to do with Smith's waistline."

David

International 12th Man
CW Rumour Mill

Kennett Grand Slams?
Loddy Twinshins
A lot has been happening recently amongst the Cricket Web Cricket community, and I recently caught up with David "Pingy" Kennett, usually outspoken but strangely quiet amidst the recent controversy, after a training session with Essex . When asked about the recent incidents, big DK had much to say.

"Firsty, the Jasotharan incident, well, it's what's led to it all, really. To be perfectly honest, he (Jasotharan) isn't the most popular guy in Cricket Web Land, and it's these types of incidents that just don't help your public profile. The bloke is a PR nightmare, I feel for his manager, honestly. I think underneath it all he's an alright person, but the success he's had on the field has maybe inflated that ego a few psi too much, and he just hasn't learnt to control it. He'll come good i reckon, but for now he has to pull his head in and think about what he's doing. Giving the fans that sort of treatment is just not on"

"Next up we've the response from our new coach. Well, mixed bag, mixed bag. I like what he wants to do with the team, and I think he'll be a great help. Our previous coach was, to be perfectly frank, ****house. Some good positive comments from the coach, but, I think he put a foot wrong attacking the so called "Ugly Australian Image". I think that, so early in his contract, that raising such contentious issues is detrimental when all we want to do is play cricket, right? Well I guess he's the coach and I'm not for a reason, but I don't like all this outside controversy when we've still got problems in our camp.. ie Jasotharan.. Add to that, many of us are of Australian heritage (in the CW system) and Agarwal's comments can only serve to create rifts between the players in CW"

"Anyway, moving along, this is where the **** hits the fan, so to speak. Here all of a sudden we're under international scrutiny, for the wrong reasons. Sure, not much is said, but it leaves the door open to other ingrates, like Smith. To be honest, I think I mostly agree with what Ponting is saying, although we're a lot stronger than he gives us credit for. As to the fielding, I'll get to that later.."

"Then we have a couple of comments thrown across the media, big Marc Robbins sticking up for Pickup, which is the right attitude. Then, when I heard that Rob Dauth had responded, I was more than a little trepidacious, I mean, he's Mr. Controversy himself. but, to my great surprise, young Dauthy pulled through, and was very collected in his response. Jasotharan needs to look to Rob as a role model here.."

Kennett pauses as he takes a drink.

"Stedman, what was he thinking? That sort of comment is way out of line, to say such things about your captain so publicly, I reckon he's got rocks in his head. By all means, discuss it with the captain, but don't just blab it out in front of the whole world like that. It's just not on, end of discussion."

"And then we get to Smith. One word. Idiot. I know I said earlier that this sort of comment will only cause controversy, and is bad for our cricket. However, this one is personal. Accusing my good mate DW of throwing? I mean come on, sour grapes, pull your ****ing head in Smith."

"Lastly, on my tirade, my verbal odyssey, we come to the comments made by Neil Pickup, my fellow teammate at Essex. Good call on Smith, however, whilst I can understand where he is coming from, I think he attacks Ponting unnecessarily. To be honest, our fielding as a whole, is atrocious. Some of us are crap fielders, I'm quite possibly the worst. But, you know what, we're improving, and i think that under Agarwal, we will see some great improvement in our weakest area. Sure, the comments were uncalled for (by Ponting) but he (Pickup) doesn't have to rise to the bait. Finally, what I said before, we can see Agarwal's comment already taking a life of it's own, as Pickup attacks the Australian spirit of the game. Well, Loddy, I don't even know if all of what I've said makes any sense, I just want to concentrate on my cricket."

Well David, we don't know if you made any sense either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Horse & Hound
"New guns needed for the XI to make the next step"
by Abhinav Shankar

It`s happened again. The national side, the Cricketweb XI, has faltered at the final hurdle of a major tournament for the second time. Second place is not a bad result for any team in such a competition, but without a doubt it leaves a bitter taste in one`s mouth. Many players publicly vented their frustration.

Some put it simply...
Pete Young said:
Daniel Towns said:
Others couldn`t take the pain.
Marc Robbins said:
...the rest of us should hang our heads in shame.
Ashley Chaulk said:
I feel like crying.
And David Kearsley is just weird.
David Kearsley said:
I think we did very well.
But words won`t change the result, and actions need to be taken to ensure success, to put a trophy in the cabinet. Let`s take a look at what the problems were in the two final matches.

(1) Poor first innings bowling. It`s always going to be hard to win a match when the opposition has 304 or 310 on the board. In the World Cup Final, the CWXI were behind the eight-ball from the onset, with Gayle and Chanderpaul running amuck. Sanders and Ponting were hopeless with the new ball, and between them conceeded 97 runs off only 14 overs. The support bowlers weren`t much better, with only Neil Pickup doing any real damage with three wickets.

Only four players remained from that game in the Champoins Trophy Final, with an all-new frontline pace attack. Watt and Wright held their own with the new cherry, sharing 6 wickets, but no-one else got close. Hoy lost the 'A' section of his dictionary, as his accuracy let him down, with countless balls being way too short of a length. Camps was only slightly better than his WC performance, with 1/45 off 7 compared to his disgraceful return of 1/38 off 4. Neil Pickup was again superb, keeping the runs down, proving his worth in tight situations. Senior player Marc Robbins bowled freakishly similiar on each of those occasions, not threatening while going at 6 per over. In the WC Final, 9 bowlers were tried and tested, but in the CT there were only 6 used. Perhaps this shows a lack of brains with the selectors, and Tom Halsey certainly would have been frustrated on the sideline as Pickup asked questions of the South-Africans with his leg-spinners.

(2) Urgency with run-scoring. On both occasions, poor strike-rates by top-order batsmen, meant that the middle and lower order were forced to give away their wickets in search of quick runs. In the WC Final, opening batsmen Twyman and Bugssy hit their runs with strike-rates of 39% and 79%. In the CT, openers Markus and Camps got theirs at 88% at 69%. These sort of strike-rates get the team off to a horrible start, and hardly make the most of fielding restrictions imposed at the start of the innings.

(3) Lack of Depth. We may question the choice of certain places in the team... but really, were there many other quality options? Nichani was looking as a possible replacement for stuggling batsmen in `04, but then went and sold himself. And then in the CT, Daniel Towns was having a horrible time of it and was replaced by new-comer David Kearsley in a controversial move. He made 8 off 7 before throwing away his wicket to Ntini, not being able to cope with the pressure and not having much time in the middle in past games certainly wasn`t helpful. Perhaps flying over Season Nine middle-order stars Dauth or DeSilva might have been a better option?
At least the CWBCC has started to rectify this problem, with the recently-finished 'A' tour, over 50 players signing for overseas Off-Season cricket, new head-coach Pratyush Agarwal and the much publicised Grade-cricket, with matches being televised on cable television for the first time.

In this writer`s opinion, the solution is simple. New talent should be given more opportunity on a higher level, with the more exceptional chosen for the national side. There are plenty of youngsters who are bursting at the seams for a shot of the big-time, young players with energy, plenty of enthusiasm and a care-free style of cricket, which makes for exciting play and quick hitting.

Dashing all-rounders like Mike Wilson, Bryce Cunningham, Sean Fuller, hard-hitting batsmen like Robert Dauth and Thamba Mamesh, and energetic pacemen such as Adam Collins and Travis Demeza need to be drafted in immediately if the Webheads want the same success as South Africa and the West Indies - sides with young faces that have been given a chance to prove themselves at a high level, in big-match situations.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Nnanden said:
Horse & Hound
"New guns needed for the XI to make the next step"
by Abhinav Shankar

It`s happened again. The national side, the Cricketweb XI, has faltered at the final hurdle of a major tournament for the second time. Second place is not a bad result for any team in such a competition, but without a doubt it leaves a bitter taste in one`s mouth. Many players publicly vented their frustration.

Some put it simply...
Pete Young said:
Well that's a mis-quote and a half.......you're learning. :D :p