• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zaheer Khan

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure what you're on there. It's unusual for a bowler to be crap for 6 or 7 years then get quite a bit better. Very unusual in fact.

Not an outrage.

Dravid

International Captain
He really impressed me in South Africa last year, and since then it was pretty obvious he would be India's best pace bowler for a couple of years. Like mentioned before, Sreesanth and Munaf have potential to be better than him, but as of now he's the best pace bowler India have to offer.

dass

Banned
question, is zaheer khan a pathan?? because his last name is khan, also where in india is he from?? i am guessing somewhere north cause he looks pakistani :laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, it did go slightly missing for one spell, but for the most part in the Test match, he probed at a good line and length.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Not sure what you're on there. It's unusual for a bowler to be crap for 6 or 7 years then get quite a bit better. Very unusual in fact.

Not an outrage.
Hmm to be fair he was never really crap, he always showed glimpses of what he's capable of but hasnt delivered consistently and a few times he's lost it at crucial moments without explanation (2003 WC final for eg). I think it can quite possibly be put down to him never getting a prolonged secure run in the side until now due to both his injuries and lack of faith placed in him at time, now he's fixed his action a bit (that jump was really terrible for him thats the sort of thing that gets ironed out in bowlers at under 15 level most of the time) so he should be able to stay on the park longer and now he's seen as somewhat of the leader of the pack and the responsibility seems to be doing him the world of good. That said I'm not convinced by him yet and would not be suprised at all if he lost it completely or got injured again before the years out.

And btw wasn't Flintoff the bowler according to you 'crap' until about 27 or 28 (after 7 or 8 years of international cricket) when he overnight became very praiseworthy :p

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer has everything a strike pacer needs- muscle, build, swing, seam movement and decent pace. When fully fit, he's an asset to the team. He was at his best in 2002, when he made rapid strides, and had a lot of power. However, a few bad matches, injuries and some dreadful planning by the Indian team management almost resulted in a loss of a quality strike bowler prospect, until recently. That phase in Worcester will help him a lot, as he's now used to bowling outside India. Since his recall to the Test side late in 2006, he's averaged a shade over 26 with nearly five wickets a match, which is a good run, and enough to keep him as a frontline striker for a long time. The key issue, however, is his fitness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm to be fair he was never really crap, he always showed glimpses of what he's capable of but hasnt delivered consistently and a few times he's lost it at crucial moments without explanation (2003 WC final for eg). I think it can quite possibly be put down to him never getting a prolonged secure run in the side until now due to both his injuries and lack of faith placed in him at time, now he's fixed his action a bit (that jump was really terrible for him thats the sort of thing that gets ironed out in bowlers at under 15 level most of the time) so he should be able to stay on the park longer and now he's seen as somewhat of the leader of the pack and the responsibility seems to be doing him the world of good. That said I'm not convinced by him yet and would not be suprised at all if he lost it completely or got injured again before the years out.
He was at least in the side constantly for a long time pretty much between his debut and the 2003\04 season, though.

I just never thought he was that good, really. He had odd moments, yeah (especially the NZ tour where any seamer worth his salt had to cash-in) but never really any more than that.
And btw wasn't Flintoff the bowler according to you 'crap' until about 27 or 28 (after 7 or 8 years of international cricket) when he overnight became very praiseworthy :p
Nah, Flintoff turned the corner at 25. ;) After just 5 years of Tests.