• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2011 Rugby World Cup

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The J-League got empty crowds until they won the bid for Football WC and the media hyped Football to the max.
Hm. Read a book describing Japanese supporter culture (think it was from Nagoya Grampus Eight, early 90s) and one thing they didn't seem to lack was people.

(Indeed, according to wiki, the J League had its highest average attendance in 1994, the World Cup was awarded in 1996, but the average attendance had halved by 1997. The current average attendance is 90 % of the 1994 figures.)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hm. Read a book describing Japanese supporter culture (think it was from Nagoya Grampus Eight, early 90s) and one thing they didn't seem to lack was people.

(Indeed, according to wiki, the J League had its highest average attendance in 1994, the World Cup was awarded in 1996, but the average attendance had halved by 1997. The current average attendance is 90 % of the 1994 figures.)
1994 was on the back of some big overseas signings so the average attendance are screwed somewhat. I think you will find there were some massive crowds to see some big name players i.e Zico and when they weren't playing the crowds were pretty low. It wasn't until the 1998 WC the crowds started to increase and even then they went backwards until 2001 when the hype surrounding the World Cup increased.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
If Japan are to win a bid, the Top League needs to become more popular. How they're going to achieve that without Rugby World Cup success, I don't know.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how a successful World Cup campaign has a great deal to do with a successful Top League. Japan didn;t win a World Cup match until they hosted the World Cup in 2002. The league became more success after they won the rights to World Cup, not on the back of World Cup Success. It just continued it development after that success.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
They need success on a major stage before the media will take rugby seriously... Trouncing their Asian neighbours in WC qualifying doesn't really cut it. Long before the 2002 World Cup, there was hype surrounding Japan upsetting Brazil in the '96 Olympics, qualifying for the 1998 World Cup and winning the 2000 Asian Cup. Nakata was a major star. And they had a whole generation of ready made fans because of the popularity of the Captain Tsubasa manga.

Piper

International Captain
I don't think they could make a bigger mess than London has made of the 2012 Olympics so far. I think for the good of the sport, it should have been hosted in Japan so that it brings the sport to somewhere, where it wasn't as big. But going on the NZ having it, maybe they could use some of Australia's grounds? I mean it isn't all that far away as long as they stayed in the east coast.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've heard there's going to be a plate competition run at the 2011 world cup for the losing quarter finalists. They're calling it the Bledisloe Cup. :cool: :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think they could make a bigger mess than London has made of the 2012 Olympics so far. I think for the good of the sport, it should have been hosted in Japan so that it brings the sport to somewhere, where it wasn't as big. But going on the NZ having it, maybe they could use some of Australia's grounds? I mean it isn't all that far away as long as they stayed in the east coast.
That won't happen, I would rather they give Fiji, Samoa and Tonga a home game each than throwing a few matches away to Australia.