• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Rugby World Cup players

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Simple process really, one person nominated them, and another seconded that nomination.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Comfortable win for Mehrtens in Battle 7, but Joost & Gav are tid up at 5-5 which means I get the casting vote. Poo, very hard to separate them. Hastings is almost certainly the best Scottish player I've seen, with a great kicking game, rock solid under the high ball and a decent gallop when he got going, that said I have to go for van der Westhuizen as he is probably the best scrum-half I've seen. Not the greatest passer, but unquestionably the best eye for that gap.

Battle 9

Sean Fitzpatrick (New Zealand)

vs

Hugo Porta (Argentina)

Battle 10

Olivier Magne (France)

vs

Nick Farr-Jones (Australia)

The finest South American Rugby player ever has a very big ask on his hands with the legendary ABs skip Fitz in the other corner & the barnstorming French flanker goes up against the man who lifted the cup for Oz in 1991.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Very hard one this, between Fitzpatrick and Porta.
Think I'll go for Porta and Magne.

Fiery

Banned
Porta > Fitzpatrick in rugby WC's?! Don't make me laugh. How many WC's did Porta play in (not to mention win?)

Farr-Jones

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
question...i came late to this thing...were jason little or tim horan included. and john eales?
Horan & Eales are in; Little was nominated but not seconded. Full list of the 32 (those not in bold already out) here:

Jonah Lomu
Michael Jones
Sean Fitzpatrick

Grant Fox
Andrew Mehrtens
Doug Howlett
John Kirwan

David Campese
John Eales
Tim Horan

Chris Latham
Michael Lynagh
Stephen Larkham

Matt Burke
Nick Farr-Jones
George Gregan

Martin Johnson
Jonny Wilkinson

Jason Leonard
Jason Robinson

Francois Pienaar
Joost van der Westhuizen
Joel Stransky

Chester Williams

Serge Blanco
Phillipe Sella
Olivier Magne

Keith Wood
Brian O’Driscoll

Gavin Hastings

Ieuan Evans

Hugo Porta

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fitzpatrick & Farr-Jones make it a fairly routine antipodean double.

Next up:

Battle 11

Michael Lynagh (Australia)

vs

Francois Pienaar (South Africa)

Battle 12

Martin Johnson (England)

vs

Jason Robinson (England)

Four world cup winners for your pleasure, including two victorious captains. Don't say I don't spoil you! The world's nicest Australian (& that's official) & an unerring source of points goes up against the SA captain from their win in 1995 and in an English civil war our colossus faces the most successful league convert to ply his trade in the senior code.