• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Rugby World Cup players

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lomu takes it all in his considerable stride as he moves into round 2, but Matt Burke polls a creditable 5 votes (all Aussies, hmmm...) & Jonny Wilkinson makes certain of pommie presence in the next round with a comfortable win.

Next up:

Battle 5

Doug Howlett (New Zealand)

vs

Chris Latham (Australia)

Battle 6

Stephen Larkham (Australia)

vs

Keith Wood (Ireland)

The All-Blacks flying wing who ran in an impressive 7 tries in 2003 takes on arguably the world's best current full-back who ran in 5 tries in a single game in the same tournament & the man whose first ever dropped goal took Oz to the final in 1999 takes on the flying potato himself Keith Wood, who once ran in 4 tries of his own v the US in 1999.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Howlett
Wood

Not trying to be Anti-Australian but I don't think that either Latham or Larkham have really shone in World Cups, but I am probably wrong.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But what about Larkham's drop goal?
Yeah exactly, there you go I forgot about that. I'm not actually the most knowledgeable about rugby history and World Cups etc, so I just go on what I remember.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Howlett and Larkham

I have seen Larkham do some truly incredible runs down the wing, in which he managed to bypass 3 players, which what seemed like inches of space to play with, gun player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, in Battle 6 Bernie Larkham strikes a blow for injury-prone, scrum-cap-wearing backs everywhere with a 6-4 win, but Battle 5 is tied up at 5-5 so I get the casting vote!! As much as I think Latham is the better player, I have to go with Howlett as he's done more in world cup games. Latham hasn't really ever been a first-choice in a world cup so far.

Ok, next:

Battle 7

Andrew Mehrtens (New Zealand)

vs

Chester Williams (South Africa)

Battle 8

Joost van der Westhuizen (South Africa)

vs

Gavin Hastings (Scotland)

The All-Blacks main point-scoring weapon from 95 & 99 (but not, controversially, from 2003) takes on the man who, more than anyone, was the face of the rainbow nation in their home triumph in 1995 & another Saffie winner from the same year and one of the finest scrum-halves of any era takes on the pride of the Scots and the all-time leading points scoring in world cup history.