• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall + McGrath vs Imran + Steyn

Which is better?

• Total voters

Himannv

International Coach
Two best darn bowlers of all time man. Bradman and Sobers are the only two who'd give these two a run for their money.

Himannv

International Coach
Bradman, Sobers are lot superior to Marshall, McGrath. Bowlers have higher role but skill wise Bradman and Sobers are basically in whole different league to any cricketer to ever exist.
Sure, what I'm saying is Bradman and Sobers are the only two who'd be better than these two as a pair. Maybe Bradman and Hadlee might be as well but I'm less convinced.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Very few people here even know how Sobers plays, let alone Bradman. Telling that Test cricket fans have to reach for old time names to show a kind of equality between batsmen and bowlers. Newsflash, it doesn't exist.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Very few people here even know how Sobers plays, let alone Bradman. Telling that Test cricket fans have to reach for old time names to show a kind of equality between batsmen and bowlers. Newsflash, it doesn't exist.
If you've never seen how Sobers bat then you're not trying to, lots of examples of him bowling and catching as well. Bradman is a little harder, but it exists as well.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman, Sobers are lot superior to Marshall, McGrath. Bowlers have higher role but skill wise Bradman and Sobers are basically in whole different league to any cricketer to ever exist.

Sure, what I'm saying is Bradman and Sobers are the only two who'd be better than these two as a pair. Maybe Bradman and Hadlee might be as well but I'm less convinced.

Brilliant, couldn't agree with these two posts more.

shortpitched713

International Captain
If you've never seen how Sobers bat then you're not trying to, lots of examples of him bowling and catching as well. Bradman is a little harder, but it exists as well.
My point isn't that footage doesn't exist (obviously it does), but rather by reaching for such names instead of more modern ones they are more familiar with, they're abstracting the value of individual batting prowess to a foreign context. Which unwittingly is a point against their premise that individual batsmen and bowlers could have parity.

Sure, possibly it's true for some long off time when the game was different, but certainly not in the game that they and we know more intimately.