• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Attack

Select the best one

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's pretty simple, which is the best.

First, the basics, yes we are factoring in all aspects of the game.

For the sake of argument and uniformity we're using Warne, because quite frankly he's made the team every time we've done one. Plus it sets the rest of the tail for reference. Marshall is also in all because he was literally a unanimous choice last time and was just voted a clear no. 1 by the community.

Genuine and non-inflammatory arguments please, really want to know what's the best possible attack pulling from the history of this great game, from the communities perspective.

Personally don't think the last option is viable, but know at least two persons who would request him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasim would be an interesting inclusion due to the left-arm variety offered compared to the other seamers in the combination. Steyn is a tier below all of these bowlers for me. I could be convinced of any of the non-Steyn options.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Option 1. The best combination on paper and almost unanimously agreed best 3 bowlers in history, though from memory only @Coronis regularly chooses this combination. For me though it misses the extra aggression that Steyn and Imran normally brings to the table, plus Hadlee was primarily a new ball bowler though he often bowled long spells with the old ball as did both of the others. Plus I believe all 3 had experience bowling reverse swing, though not to the extent of Imran and Steyn. It does have batting all the way to no. 10 though.

Option 2. The team I normally select that I don't believe anyone else chooses. Steyn and McGrath played in modern and flatter conditions, though Steyn did most of his damage at home in friendlier conditions. Steyn was also a master of reverse and these three would compliment each other perfectly with Steyn bringing the aggression and s/r that the first option slightly misses out on. The batting is the weaker of the top 4 options, though not totally exposed.

Option 3. The team we selected last time and the strongest batting option. Imran was the original.master of reverse and strengthens the no. 8 spot, but he's also the lowest ranked bowler of the one's being considered. Personally don't believe he was consistently world class away from home during his career, but Steyn has similar issues, though in modern and flatter away conditions.

Option 4. Replaces McGrath with his closest comp, who isn't a liability with the bat and almost matches his production. Steyn is still there for the reverse swing and aggression and Hadlee covers the no. 8 batting position and with Marshall and Warne while missing McGrath, there's no batting liability and still a strong attack.

I already referenced option 5...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Marshall, Hadlee, Barnes, Murali

If we are considering post war only then McGrath in place of Barnes.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
First, the basics, yes we are factoring in all aspects of the game.
Honest (not facetious question). By all factors of the game do you mean all factors of BOWLING (bowling partnerships, complementary styles, ability and humility to be a 3rd seamer, pitch, overhead conditions, ball type and age etc.), or all factors of the game (so things like batting, fielding, leadership as well)?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Assuming the last one would also have Warne, I have gone with that. There is a better spread of bowling styles and varieties and they are all still ATGs.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Honest (not facetious question). By all factors of the game do you mean all factors of BOWLING (bowling partnerships, complementary styles, ability and humility to be a 3rd seamer, pitch, overhead conditions, ball type and age etc.), or all factors of the game (so things like batting, fielding, leadership as well)?
All factors, complimentary styles, batting etc.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
First attack probably lacks the firepower. Would go with Marshall, McGrath, Imran and Warne instead.
While I agree with that sentiment, a couple things to consider.

Hadlee is comfortably the better bowler

Hadlee also had occasions where he proved he could almost bowl all day, so that's a consideration.

Imran just wasn't that amazing outside of Pakistan. So in the advent that we aren't playing every game in 1980's Pakistan, what are we getting, specifically with the ball.

The thing I've noticed that outside of the top 3 (especially MM), even including the top 2 spinners, they all have major holes or question marks in their records. It's looking at the rationale's behind those questions and identifying what else they bring to the table.

Oh, and Steyn seems to have fallen out of favor.

Last edited: